•  
Gobi
maybe not that simple
Jun 2013
5:02pm, 14 Jun 2013
1,547 posts
  •  
Dooogs
I wasn't even being clever* - I thought it might be an equation where you plugged in your PB and could work out an optimum base speed...

*to no-one's surprise.
Jun 2013
5:13pm, 14 Jun 2013
122 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
McMillan running calculator (and others) will give you something like that - type in your 5k time and it will suggest a range of times for your long/slow/easy runs. Or you can wonder over to the hadd thread and go by your heart rate instead of pace.

What I failed (twice) to post was that I've taken about 1 minute off my 5k PB over 2 years, having increased volume from less than 10 miles per week to a fairly consistent 20-25 miles per week. Completely agree with other posters about more miles (and most of them not too fast) being the way to improve. Just wanted to make the point that we're all different and not everyone will respond to training in the same way, or show the same rate of improvement.
Jun 2013
5:13pm, 14 Jun 2013
51,454 posts
  •  
Gobi
right so you do that to get ball parks then you consider

training years

mileage

and a few other things

:¬)
Jun 2013
5:15pm, 14 Jun 2013
51,455 posts
  •  
Gobi
Ceratonia - patience is one of the biggest things you need when training

My PB improves by only 2 minutes in 3 years

A harsh reality is the faster you get the harder it is to keep getting faster, then age comes to the fore and it becomes about delaying the slowing down process

:¬)
Jun 2013
5:33pm, 14 Jun 2013
1,550 posts
  •  
Dooogs
On the upside, I've got plenty of room for improvement in my times. On the downside, incipient middle age means it's an uphill struggle ffrom here...

Thanks, both - I'll take a look at that MacMillan calculator too. Pacing 26m tomorrow so that slows down my tempo run, anyway... ;)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dooogs
Morning, everyone

I’ve just started running after about 20 years off (the lardiness was getting...