New York City Marathon

22 watchers
Nov 2012
1:14pm, 3 Nov 2012
10,684 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Took them a while to see sense. It'd be bloody insensitive to hold the marathon so early.

There is a "marathon of relief" tomorrow. Whether it makes a blind bit of difference or whether it just makes runners feel better isn't for us to call. But if people are still desperate to run, it's one option that shouldn't run the risk of looking selfish.

facebook.com
Nov 2012
3:27pm, 3 Nov 2012
3,061 posts
  •  
SharonD
Cheers Naomi, something positive at last rather than the insensitivity of OMG a run I or so and so has trained for has been cancelled!
Get real guys if your biggest worry is your run has been cancelled you are very lucky indeed!

It should have been cancelled sooner but at least its been cancelled now and resources that would have been used to run the race can be diverted to help folk who are without food, water, utilities and the basic things in life we so easily take for granted.

Before you post about the atrocity of a marathon being cancelled at the last minute, count yourself lucky you have the power to post it, are probably sat in a nice warm house, in a cosy chair etc, before you post about how thoughtless it is to cancel at the last minute, think how thoughtless it is to worry about a run when folk across the world hit by hurricane Sandy are worried about surviving each day- New York and the East Coast will bounce back, further afield in the Carribean it will take far longer for folk to recover from the devastation-if only they had the biggest worry of a run to upset them!

Lets hope the relief run is the most successful run New York has ever had and aid gets to where it needs to further afield.
Nov 2012
3:48pm, 3 Nov 2012
5,755 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer♣ of Beartown
Well said Sharon
Nov 2012
3:59pm, 3 Nov 2012
10,717 posts
  •  
Discovery Dave
Sharon: I don't think anyone's disagreeing with the decision. Just saying that the timing sucked. I'm not sure it's a competition about who's had more taken from them, and the fact that lots of people have had worse things happen to them makes the lateness of the decision OK.
Nov 2012
4:03pm, 3 Nov 2012
2,684 posts
  •  
Doctor K
If only the media reported what actually happened in the Caribbean -it is that that moves people to do something but we have heard very little of that. It's a very poor show by the world's media from first world countries.
Nov 2012
4:17pm, 3 Nov 2012
5,756 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer♣ of Beartown
Well said dok
Nov 2012
6:15pm, 3 Nov 2012
388 posts
  •  
Left Foot
Tubby T -- yes the World Service are, in my experience, is the only news organisation that usually just about gets that sort of thing right. I think it's the best part of the BBC. (I know... let's not go there)
Nov 2012
7:38pm, 3 Nov 2012
1,850 posts
  •  
360°
This article suggests that cancelling may not have been the best thing for the city. nytimes.com
Nov 2012
7:39pm, 3 Nov 2012
1,851 posts
  •  
360°
Link to 1st page nytimes.com
Nov 2012
7:50pm, 3 Nov 2012
14,432 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
Political decision, that may prove to be inadequate?

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Anyone received a confirmation from the NYC Marathon yet? They took my money a month ago, but I hav...