New York City Marathon

22 watchers
Nov 2012
9:45pm, 3 Nov 2012
1,903 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
Found another marathon on November 4th, the Inland Trail Marathon. It is not too far from here so I can drive to it. Couldn't be more opposite of the NYC Marathon. This one is a small field (around 100 runners). We run on a trail build on what had been a railroad track. Very rural and very barren area. I am looking forward to it.
Nov 2012
10:45pm, 3 Nov 2012
5,154 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Good to see 40 runners from Amsterdam have volunteered to help with the clean up effort apparently, and there's more details here on how to help for runners who made the trip huffingtonpost.com .

As for calling it too late, well can you be surprised by NYC mayor Bloomberg, he was a Democrat until 2001, then became Republican , then became Independent in 2007 and just this year has endorsed Obama. The man is a serial indecisive.
Nov 2012
10:46pm, 3 Nov 2012
646 posts
  •  
Scott S
The media is the same all over. They focus one thing constantly i.e Syria and Libya, and then after a week or so, completely ignore it so everything must be rosy and back to normal.
Same with Afghanistan. Mentions a British soldier getting killed now and again. That's it. No other problems? No other countries losing troops? Obviously not.
Then you watch US tv and they'll say that 10 US marines were killed today yet no mention of anyone else as well.

Hurricanes are pretty much an every occurrence in the Caribbean for poor people so it's not that newsworthy.
A major city where someone might get their latest Gucci handbag a day later is news. And some poorer people might be struggling somewhere near by may be worth a mention if time.
Nov 2012
11:06pm, 3 Nov 2012
5,156 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Sandy has already devastated Cuba and Haiti as well, higher casualties, but we know lives in the "developing world" aren't worth the same as Americans or Brits. (Where's the sarcastic emoticon when you need one?)
Nov 2012
11:11pm, 3 Nov 2012
3,331 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I thought there had been more casualties in the USA than the Caribbean?

Completely agree the race should have been called off, and unsurprised by the reaction of some of the runners, get over it!
Nov 2012
11:18pm, 3 Nov 2012
11,037 posts
  •  
Stander
It cheeses me off that there is little or no coverage of the devastation in the Caribbean countries, but then the poor never seem to rate many column inches do they?
(also needs sarcasm icon)
Nov 2012
7:21am, 4 Nov 2012
647 posts
  •  
Scott S
Some of it is due to the fact that most people couldn't even tell you where Haiti is without a map, and as said, is in the path of many storms and hurricanes.
NYC on the other hand is a very well known city that doesn't get hit by huricanes so when when comes along and causes a lot of damage, it's news.

I'm sure many people die around the world everyday from natural events yet that doesn't stop us holidaying in say Bali and I bet 99% don't give a second thought to the 1000s dying at any given time, living in poverty etc.

As for runners' reactions, in my eyes, the media seems to be giving the impression that apart from a litle bit of subway flooding in lower Manhattan, the marathon route itself is untouched and everything around it is fine in that area.

A lot of people have trained for this, paid a lot of money to travel across the world and after leaving late due to rescheduled flights etc, get there to be told, "Sorry we're not bothering now". I too would be miffed if I had spent 6 months building up to this, booked flights, hotels etc, been hit by cancelled flights and possibly spent a day or two at the airport trying to get out there just to land and find my reason for going was now non-existent barely a day beforehand.

I'm also left wondering what happens with the ballot next year. I've got 2 rejections so next year's would have got me guaranteed entry in 2014 (the last year of this method).
TT
Nov 2012
8:06am, 4 Nov 2012
929 posts
  •  
TT
You are dead right Scott on all counts.

New York etc is also important in news terms because this may change the outcome of the election too which does have global implications and has an impact on the climate change debate there. I'm a news geek. I'm interested in global news but even I wonder why I am, what purpose it server. At least when people donate to the red cross etc the people there make informed choices with full information.

You can't read back the first couple of pages on this thread and not feel for the runners. Both those in this year and those expecting to be in next year. It's okay to feel for both.
TT
Nov 2012
8:23am, 4 Nov 2012
930 posts
  •  
TT
Stander, you also have a good point. If you think about it what is the actual point or purpose of news? I'm not sure. I grew up in a house where it was banned from the tv because it would wind my dad up. Maybe I'm just nosey, peeping in on other peoples misery for no purpose.
Nov 2012
6:20pm, 4 Nov 2012
853 posts
  •  
Tikka
For those of us not on FB or Twitter, does anyone know if Pudds ran the unofficial marathon organised in Central Park this morning?

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Anyone received a confirmation from the NYC Marathon yet? They took my money a month ago, but I hav...