New running shoes

1 watcher
Apr 2017
9:18pm, 4 Apr 2017
216 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
The last pair of running shoes i bought online as same make and model of my previous pair i bought at running shop after gait analysis. They have been ok but were very slightly different.

I am due another pair - i will definitely go to the local running shop to buy rather than online but you have to book in advance for gait analysis. Last time i went in and hoc they asked me to step into a heat sensitive pad to see if you have high instep etc and they told me gait analysis isn't always needed, although it is quite a while since i last had mine done.

Would it be worthwhile repeating or not? Would be more convenient to pop into the shop without worrying about booking in, as i would like to try and pop in ASAP
Apr 2017
9:39pm, 4 Apr 2017
2,116 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I wouldn't bother booking another gait analysis, wouldn't have thought that your gait would have changed since the last one. Just take in your current running shoes and tell them that they were recommended after the previous analysis and they should be able to recommend a similar type of shoe ( ie motion control, neutral, etc ).
Apr 2017
9:57pm, 4 Apr 2017
218 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Thanks K5, i might try and pop in tomorrow.
It's actually ages since i had a new pair, due to not being consistent with running I've lost track how long i have been using the same pair!

Have you come across the heat sensitive pad thing before?
Apr 2017
10:11pm, 4 Apr 2017
667 posts
  •  
timaru
Why would you need to book a gait analysis... we were more than happy to get people on it so we could show the customer what it was all about and give them an idea about what it is all about. When I started working for them I was a forefoot striker needing neutral shoes but over the last 4 years I have altered my gait and now need support. So a regular (ish) check would be good, but a good shop can tell (usualy) by looking at how you stand so a good shop is a brill idea
Apr 2017
10:16pm, 4 Apr 2017
2,117 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Nope, never had a gait analysis done - I'm old school, you can tell if you have flat feet or a high instep just by looking at the footprint you leave from wet feet on a paper towel ;-)
Apr 2017
10:19pm, 4 Apr 2017
220 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Dunno why but they have a sign in the window. I assumed it was something you generally have to book bit obviously it's not.

Maybe as it takes more time and only a small shop, so they only book you in when 2 member of staff?
I might ask them tomorrow. I know if have a high instep and my normal shoes have signs of increased wear on outer edge of heels. I think k i am a mid foot striker but viewing recent video of me running parkrun my posture and general running gait looked awful

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by totalbeginner
The last pair of running shoes i bought online as same make and model of my previous pair i bought a...