Mixed terrain waterproof running shoes

5 watchers
Aug 2020
11:48am, 20 Aug 2020
134 posts
  •  
SteveCRunner
Speedcrosses are good for snow, yes, and Spikecross for ice come with Climashield so you don't get a choice on water resistance, but it doesn't go all the way round for models with Climashield, which IMO is a good compromise.

For drying I use a ski boot dryer. It has tubes the poke onto each shoe, a fan about the power of a computer fan blowing down them, and a couple of watts of heating, and a timer from 1 to 3 hours. Also where I live in Norway it is common to have a heated shoe rack. Both of these prevent my Marcos-sized collection getting smelly.
um
Aug 2020
9:12am, 23 Aug 2020
3,167 posts
  •  
um
I'm with the Inov-8 posters. Roclite (waterproof GTX) or Mudclaws (not waterproof).

The mudclaws are a very snug fit, and I find compression socks are far better than others if wet - I often don't notice how wet they are till I take them off.

I also use my mudclaws quite happily on roads. They feel very bouncy, but it does wear them out. But not wet chalk.

We have an airing cupboard for drying shoes.
I have been known to use hotel hair driers in hot places. Or sun ...
Aug 2020
12:39pm, 25 Aug 2020
823 posts
  •  
Muttley
More Mile Cheviot from Start Fitness are good off-roaders for about £35 including postage. They do come a little small but buying half a size larger than usual should do you. No cushioning so best for softer stuff like sandy or dirt trails. Not so great on stony trails.
Aug 2020
5:39pm, 25 Aug 2020
39 posts
  •  
compartmental
Interesting to stumble on this thread. I’m just off to test out a new Mizuno pair with Gortex & Michelin branded rugged looking soles. I bought them on the promise they were essentially my favourite wave riders but with better grip. We shall see
Dec 2020
1:10pm, 11 Dec 2020
255 posts
  •  
SteveC amid the winters snow
We've had such a wet back end of the year here that I'm thibking of a mixed terrain pair with Goretex now. Thinking of maybe Peregrine 10 gtx or the more extreme La Sportiva Lycan. Wondering how the Mizunos are working out.
Dec 2021
1:47pm, 29 Dec 2021
1,002 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
Any comments on how the Mizunos worked out, compartmental? I bought some Merrell Nova GTX. They have 5 mm lugs and feel a bit stiff and heavyish, but they do the job on the odd occasion.
Dec 2021
6:35pm, 29 Dec 2021
258 posts
  •  
compartmental
They’re pretty decent actually. I find the lack of cushioning a bit stiff/jarring on hard surfaces, so don’t take them more than a km or so on road if I can gherkin it but they’re good at this time of year for running to the woods, up/down&round the trails till I’m tired and then back. Less good for properly muddy fields where you’d want spikes. The waterproofing is good for splashes & rain/windchill. It does make them a bit warmer than my waver riders, but my feet run cold so that’s a plus for me. However, if you decide to wade any streams and water comes in the tops, they can take a bit longer to dry out than you expect leading to some annoying squelching.
Dec 2021
6:43pm, 29 Dec 2021
259 posts
  •  
compartmental
…please read “gherkin” as “avoid”. No, I don’t know either 🤷‍♀️
Dec 2021
7:02pm, 29 Dec 2021
1,010 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
Beetroot ... I mean thanks for the feedback ;)
Dec 2021
9:18pm, 29 Dec 2021
2,154 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Pickled onions everyone🎉

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Minimag
After today's torrential rain, and having walked, run and cycled through mud, on country roads,...