Methotrexate and Running

7 watchers
Jan 2018
4:00pm, 7 Jan 2018
4,557 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I also take methotrexate. It would be wrong to say I'm running as well as I did before arthritis blighted my life, but I still do it. I feel pretty crap for about 36 - 48 hours after I take it, though the severity of this is variable. Last week was awful.

My rheumy is switching me to injection, am told that it's more efficient and has less side effects so that has to be good thing.
Jan 2018
7:18am, 11 Jan 2018
61 posts
  •  
daisyjess
Northern Exile, I switched to the injections about six months ago. I had the same problem with feeling like utter crap after taking the tablets. I don't have any problematic side effects with the injection.

I always take the injection after I've been for my run, as running makes the injection site a bit sore (only while running, and running is the only thing that does it - I think it's all that hard work my abs (ha) are doing.

Bit of a digression, but does anyone else find that methotrexate knocks them straight out for a nap? I was talking to someone else who takes it and she thought it was really weird - it stops her from sleeping.
Jan 2018
9:41am, 11 Jan 2018
4,558 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
It was methotrexate day yesterday, so as usual feel pretty dreadful today. I'm really looking forward to switching to injections, HAC are delivering the stuff on Friday and I have an appointment with the rheumy nurse on Tuesday to show me how to do it. Good advice re. doing it after a run, I'm thinking I'll probably do it on Weds eves as I swim on Weds mornings then go to work.

I don't find it affects my sleep. Steroids do!
Jul 2020
10:17pm, 27 Jul 2020
1,805 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Just came across this group by accident and although a couple of years old was wondering how everyone was getting on. I too am on methotrexate.

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis just over 2 years ago and to cut a long story short I’m currently on injections of methotrexate, and since my dose has increased to the maximum 25g I’ve been getting a lot of fatigue and have put it down to the higher dose.

I’m also still getting some pain in various joints - possibly ligaments, that lasts between 3-10 days then I’ll be ok for several weeks and my blood tests have been showing up fine. Could this still be my psoriatic arthritis even though my blood results seem fine when I have my usual blood test? Has anyone else experienced this?

Have an appointment with my rheumatologist next month.

Hope everyone is well 😊
Jul 2020
10:34pm, 27 Jul 2020
6,654 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I was on 25mg at one point and concur it knocks the stuffing out of you. I've managed to get off methotrexate, it's been over a year since my last injection and I manage my condition with diet anf and the occasional naproxen.
Jul 2020
11:16am, 28 Jul 2020
1,806 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Thanks Northern Exile, that’s great to hear you’re off the methotrexate.
Jul 2020
11:58am, 28 Jul 2020
6,659 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I just realised I didn't really help answer your question. You need someone medically qualified to comment really, however my thoughts are that the pain is very likely to be your PsA - in my own experience, MTX didn't solve everything. I was put on sulfasalazine as well for a while and the two together really kicked the crap out of me.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, I know how you feel.
Jul 2020
1:31pm, 28 Jul 2020
1,807 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Thanks Northern Exile.

I’ll be seeing my rheumatologist soon so will get their opinion. I feel that Methotrexate hasn’t really settled things down for me even though my dose has increased several times over the past 18 months or so. Now that I’m on the maximum dose, hopefully they’ll change something to improve the situation.
Aug 2021
3:54pm, 17 Aug 2021
149 posts
  •  
MadWelshWoman
Hello, I have just picked up on this thread as I have recently started taking Methotrexate for Lupus. I have been attempting to get back to running for a year or so following a couple of years off with injuries, both Achilles and then a dislocated knee! I am attempting C25K at the moment, but feel exhausted, it is so frustrating. Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received!
Aug 2021
4:15pm, 17 Aug 2021
7,850 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Sorry to hear of your condition MWW, it's hard enough having to deal with a serious illness like lupus without the additional burden of taking methotrexate. Do you take it orally or by injection?

About This Thread

Maintained by
I've been taking Methotrexate for Rhumatoid Arthritis since mid January. The query's I have are is...