Methotrexate and Running

7 watchers
Mar 2017
5:56pm, 24 Mar 2017
280 posts
  •  
Plodder54
I've been taking Methotrexate for Rhumatoid Arthritis since mid January. The query's I have are is it safe to return to running while taking it and how soon after taking my tablets can I run .
Mar 2017
6:16pm, 24 Mar 2017
35,907 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Is your rheumatoid arthritis in remission and has your blood monitoring been satisfactory? I'd certainly advise against restarting running if you've still got symptoms or raised inflammatory markers, but if you're symptom-free and your bloods are normal it would be reasonable to make a cautious return to running. As far as I know, there's no reason why you shouldn't run as soon as a few hours after taking a dose of methotrexate.
Mar 2017
6:20pm, 24 Mar 2017
281 posts
  •  
Plodder54
Thanks Velociraptor, I've been pain free for about five weeks but inflammatory markers are just above normal .
Mar 2017
6:45pm, 24 Mar 2017
35,908 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It might be worth holding off until you get a set of definitely normal results, Plodder54. Have you managed to maintain some lighter physical activity in the meantime? If not, it would be reasonable to start doing a little low- or non-impact exercise.
Mar 2017
7:17pm, 24 Mar 2017
282 posts
  •  
Plodder54
I've been walking fairly often as well as doing some light weight training, I've also found a series of flexibility exercise's I can do with a foam roller.
Mar 2017
7:47pm, 24 Mar 2017
35,911 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
:)

I hope it all settles soon and you make a successful return to running.
Mar 2017
8:24pm, 24 Mar 2017
25 posts
  •  
daisyjess
I've been on methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis since January last year. It took me until about April before I managed more than the odd mile of running - I found that I needed to stick to low-impact exercise (pilates and body balance, mostly - Pilates was great on stiff days) until the symptoms calmed down and I'd built a bit of strength up.

I don't usually run after taking methotrexate, but that's just because it often makes me feel very tired and a bit sick, and neither of those are ideal occurrences halfway through a run! Can't see why it would be a problem if you don't have any problematic side effects, though.

I hope the methotrexate works for you! It's done wonders for me. Good luck with the running :)
Mar 2017
8:36pm, 24 Mar 2017
283 posts
  •  
Plodder54
Many thanks with your help Velociraptor and daisyjess
Jan 2018
3:31pm, 7 Jan 2018
5 posts
  •  
mrbry1959
I take MXT but not for Rheumatoid Arthritis but for Psoriatic Arthritis I would love to get back into running but unfortunately my feet say NO WAY Hozay my feet are to badly swollen for me to walk let alone run I've been taking MXT for 14weeks now ( 8x2.5mg) once a week and no improvement what so ever my rhuemy may change the way I take MXT from tablet to injection or even give me another course of medication to take. I miss running I miss the smell of deep heat at the start and I miss the smell of sweat at the finish in general I bloody well miss RUNNING even training or going out on a nice country run down by the canal but I have to be patient as this condition isn't going to pass soon .
Jan 2018
3:47pm, 7 Jan 2018
3,304 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Can you cycle, mrbry1959? I have no idea of the limitations of psoriatic arthritis.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I've been taking Methotrexate for Rhumatoid Arthritis since mid January. The query's I have are is...