Masterchef

1 lurker | 42 watchers
Nov 2020
7:31am, 19 Nov 2020
13,833 posts
  •  
Homer
True...often I think that the person coming 3rd could have been great (though not last night!)
Nov 2020
7:50am, 19 Nov 2020
5,263 posts
  •  
Adrianb1066
I think that if they see promise they bend the rules. Didn’t 3 go through in another heat?
Nov 2020
8:07am, 19 Nov 2020
821 posts
  •  
Non-runner
The standard does seem to be much higher in this series in the early rounds.
Nov 2020
8:51am, 19 Nov 2020
9,902 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
OH commented last night on the chef who was working in a care home and wondered why he would be doing that. I suggested that with most of the restaurants closed or going out of business he might not have a lot of choice right now. (He was the one who got tearful at the positive comments in the second round.) If I’m right then no wonder he was emotional - it must be hard for such a good chef to not work in a creative and exciting environment, and I doubt he gets that from a care home, no matter how upmarket or expensive.
Nov 2020
10:12am, 19 Nov 2020
13,834 posts
  •  
Homer
You might well be right there Paula. His reaction seemed very genuine from getting that praise
Nov 2020
10:21am, 19 Nov 2020
69,946 posts
  •  
swittle
^ His career 'sketch' prior to him appearing suggested he was responsible for creating all meals from scratch, as well as working to specifications provided by residents, e.g. a meal that held a particular significance.

Your points about cooking in a care home are quite valid, of course.
Nov 2020
12:22pm, 19 Nov 2020
9,906 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Ah, I missed where he said he was doing that - we tend to fast forward through most of the personal/backstory bits so that they don’t influence us and I’d only caught that he was working there.

That sounds more creative, definitely, maybe just not quite enough for such a good chef. I want him to win, now. 😊
Nov 2020
1:00pm, 19 Nov 2020
69,952 posts
  •  
swittle
It was clear he was becoming emotional during the feedback and he did right to take some time away. Monica's reassurance helped him reset himself and he's set his eyes on the prize. :)

You're right, Paula: his work must include plenty of 'regular cooking'.
Nov 2020
1:08pm, 19 Nov 2020
22,296 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
I actually think that 'doing plenty of cooking' is extremely helpful - your speed, knife skills, organisation etc. You can see a lot of them work in high end restaurants and have learned their own menus really well but things fall apart as soon as they go off piste.

By far the most impressive was that guy who was effectively the only guy in his kitchen and did everything himself.
Nov 2020
8:49am, 20 Nov 2020
520 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
Don’t like Jono seems full of himself and I’m not sure why they get the critics in if they ignore their views.
They didn’t mention that Grace didn’t like his food.
Felt sorry for the only one left out as the critics had liked his food.

About This Thread

Maintained by surreystrider™
Where grown men talk REALLY LOUD