Long night-time runs - adding value to Fetch

1 watcher
Oct 2013
11:23am, 30 Oct 2013
9,497 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I wonder if between us we could make a directory of where it's possible to run far at night without going in mind-numbing loops. E.g. from Redhill/Reigate:
A25 west: bad footpath, no street lights, strongly not recommended
A25 east: OK
A217 south: narrow footpath for at least five miles
A217 north: tolerable footpath all the way to London, street lighting
A23 north: ok to Merstham
A23 south: ok to Crawley, but you will get shouted at from passing cars
Oct 2013
11:32am, 30 Oct 2013
7,398 posts
  •  
Boab
Musselburgh to Granton via, Portobello promenade, Seafield, Leith, Star Bank and Granton Roughly 8 miles, all lit, only about 3 road junctions to navigate, turn anywhere along this route and run back to double the mileage, so up to 16 miles. Could join this at any point and run in both directions. It's out and back, but it's flat and always busy. I send Mrs Boab there for a run in the winter as I know there will be loads of people around.
Oct 2013
11:39am, 30 Oct 2013
9,498 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
We'd need Fetch to create a directory of some kind for us, I think. A bit like "Routes" but with pavements, pavement quality, lighting and the chav count.
Oct 2013
12:27pm, 30 Oct 2013
3,237 posts
  •  
Dooogs
I can do south of Huddersfield - if there's one thing I've learned, it's a list of which routes are and aren't a good idea in the dark... :)
Oct 2013
1:28pm, 30 Oct 2013
7,673 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Interesting idea. As an exercise, some time back, I tried working out a half marathon route in my small town (and next village).

Rules were, stay on pavements (a couple of link paths were used), route is lit (goes with pavements, really), no crossing over (alternate sides of street allowed), no culdesacing. Just squeezed it in. No mind numbing loops, but convoluted.

If I included the neighbouring small towns/ villages (lighting is contiguous) I reckon I could get a marathon route.
Nov 2013
1:43pm, 2 Nov 2013
56 posts
  •  
andr3wht
Makes you run faster - dashing through sink estates at night with groups of urchin children asking, "What you running for Mister".
Nov 2013
2:53pm, 2 Nov 2013
7,295 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Twickenham to Hyde Park and back - 18 miles on lot pavements. Fab.
Nov 2013
2:53pm, 2 Nov 2013
7,296 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Lit, lot!
Nov 2013
4:27pm, 2 Nov 2013
4,010 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Milton Keynes - a lot of lighted footpaths everywhere, although some decent routes like canal paths are unlighted.
Nov 2013
4:33pm, 2 Nov 2013
27,943 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Any road that takes your fancy in Birmingham, but not the canal paths :)

The lit streets for running after dark are one of only two things I miss about Birmingham. Here, I have to do loops.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
I wonder if between us we could make a directory of where it's possible to run far at night without...