Do you check out/run the route before a race?

2 watchers
Jul 2013
10:12am, 24 Jul 2013
8,914 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Yup, always do. Especially for cyclosportives. Need to know how to spread my effort loads.

It helps that I can memorise a 100+ mile route relatively easily too.
Jul 2013
10:16am, 24 Jul 2013
18,822 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Always.
But that probably reflects the kind of things that I do
Jul 2013
10:18am, 24 Jul 2013
666 posts
  •  
mushroom
Definitely - especially track races ;-)
Jul 2013
11:39am, 24 Jul 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
NotFarNow
Yep, never for a road race but I've been sucked into the world of ultras - I've found it a great way of exploring a completely new area plus its given me a lot more confidence of completing a distance I've never run before if I know what's coming up. Plus my navigation is so bad it probably chops hours off my finish time :)
Jul 2013
12:07pm, 24 Jul 2013
3,766 posts
  •  
Badger
I check where the hills are, that's all. I've only made exceptions to that for three races; two were relays (Round Norfolk and Turing Trail) where it would have had bad consequences for the rest of the team if I got lost, and the field is so small and spread out that you can't count on following anyone. The third is the Cambridge boundary run where the field can get quite spread out and the locals have been known to destroy or turn route markers.

I once DQd myself from a 10k after following somebody who turned out not actually to be running the race...
Aug 2013
8:37pm, 9 Aug 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
slowcat
Always look, never remember and rarely take note of the hills. I have thought about doing a training run but then have to remember the route or take a map, especially if in an area I am totally unfamiliar with.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Was on the Barnes Green half site just now, as it's my next race and I'm all excited even though i...