Save a run as a route and it gets shortened - me no likey !!

1 watcher
May 2013
10:28pm, 14 May 2013
113 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Did a run tonight measured 4.99 miles on the Garmin.

Loaded it to my Training Log - said 4.99 miles.

Saved it as a Route as I may do it again - said it was 4.96 miles

I used to use mapmyrun until recently and it did similar - really annoying if you do a Half Mara say which measures correct at 13.10, then when you save it as a route it says it was short at 13.02 or whatever.

Why does this happen when you convert it from a training event to a route, and is there anyway to stop it rather than just going in and editing the route and putting the distance back to what it actually measured ?

ps I did try a search as I'm sure I'm not the first to spot this, but the search function says there are no threads with the word "Route" or "Routes" in the title which I find hard to believe !
May 2013
10:33pm, 14 May 2013
2,996 posts
  •  
Pestomum
If the clever stuff on here is based on maps and garmins are always a little bit out would that explain it?
May 2013
10:42pm, 14 May 2013
114 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
If it did it when you loaded it from the Garmin to the Training Log then I could sort of understand( ie it has some fancy algorithm to make it more accurate ), but you can look at a training event map and it says it is 4.99 miles.

Just wondering why it changes it when it gets saved as a route

I'd actually prefer if it just left it as what the watch says, after all that is the figure I've asked to load to Fetch, not some revised amount
May 2013
6:00am, 15 May 2013
179 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
Dunno why it does it but it seems to always happen. However 0.03 miles is only about 50m, and is well within the garmin's level of error, so I don't bother about it.
May 2013
5:55pm, 21 May 2013
16,605 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I'd like to request a "Running with children" training category. The little one has suddenly developed an interest in running and I'd like to be able to log our (short, slow) runs together as a separate category.....
May 2013
6:01pm, 21 May 2013
16,606 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Bugger, posted on completely wrong thread, sorry :(
May 2013
6:03pm, 21 May 2013
3,089 posts
  •  
Pestomum
But what a lovely category :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Did a run tonight measured 4.99 miles on the Garmin.

Loaded it to my Training Log - said 4.99 mile...