Intervals to prepare for a Fetch Mile

20 watchers
Mar 2015
2:16pm, 31 Mar 2015
198 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Hi Lady,

thanks for that, I didn't know Sandhurst had a track session. I do go to the BFR track session on a Wednesday occasionally but they are set sessions and I was thinking of specific sessions to try and practice for the mile on the 17th (400's or 800's maybe). Think I'll wonder over to Bracknell or Palmer park at a lunch time and check them out.

CW
Mar 2015
2:35pm, 31 Mar 2015
679 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
It looks like that track directory site is about 10 years our if date... Only reliable way to know if a track's available at a certain time is to ask!
Mar 2015
2:36pm, 31 Mar 2015
680 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
Out of date, not "our if" date.
Mar 2015
2:39pm, 31 Mar 2015
199 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Yep, it's not particularly current, but I wonder how quickly stuff changes? I know the guy that maintains it actually (fetch name timgrose - although it doesnt look like he comes round these parts very often. He much more active on the Garmin forums) and I am sure if you find any discrepancies he will update it.

CW
SPR
Mar 2015
2:49pm, 31 Mar 2015
19,976 posts
  •  
SPR
Nellers - what sessions are you doing? Reps? Distance? Pace? Recovery?
Mar 2015
9:08pm, 31 Mar 2015
29,474 posts
  •  
Nellers
It varies, SPR. The basic stock "speedwork" sessions have been 10 x 400m off about 2 mins recovery, 6 x 800m of about 3 minutes recovery and 9 x hill reps of about 1.45-1.55 duration and jog back down to recover. These have all been with a group.

I've also done a session of 1 minute hard/1 minute easy solo. The pace on the hard bits was dropping off more than I realised as I couldn't see my Garmin, but to be fair it wasn't on a flat stretch and it was a bit breezy.

Tonight we've done 4 x 400m off about 2 minutes rest, then 5 x 200m with a walk back as recovery. There's not much in the way of a plan for further sessions yet but I've had some suggestions. I'm just not sure how I should structure things.
SPR
Mar 2015
9:29pm, 31 Mar 2015
19,977 posts
  •  
SPR
None of these sessions are full recovery sessions. If you were trying to run as fast as possible in a 1 min/ 1 min session, it's not surprising your pace dropped. Do you have HR stats? Do they show you were working hard?
SPR
Mar 2015
9:34pm, 31 Mar 2015
19,978 posts
  •  
SPR
What pace are you trying to run at, or are you just running as fast as possible? If as fast as possible, what pace does that end up being?
Mar 2015
9:47pm, 31 Mar 2015
29,475 posts
  •  
Nellers
Depends on the distance, SPR. Aim is to run a sub-6 mile so anything I do that's shorter than that is, ideally, quicker than that. The minutes sesh was deliberately a bit slower as the recovery is so short. They varied from somewhere around 6.10s to 7.20s but as I said it wasn't flat.

The 400s tonight were all better than 6 min/mile pace. The 200s (and it's approx distance. No track available) clocked by Garmin at 4.44 to 5 and a bit pace but that really was eyeballs out and the recovery was pretty long.

The 800s are generally a bit off 6 minute mile pace, certainly by the end.
SPR
Mar 2015
10:16pm, 31 Mar 2015
19,979 posts
  •  
SPR
Ok, if you're running mile pace with the recovery you are atm, they'll definitely feel hard, as you will be filling with lactic, but your body will be getting used to handling and using it, so that's good. There's no way to get them to the level of 'ease' that you feel when running with others though unfortunately.

In terms of interval structure assuming you have some control over it, you may be better doing sets or reps, with shorter recovery between the reps but longer between sets. Eg 3 sets x4 reps x400 1 min (or less) between reps, 5 mins between sets. This will help keep the quality, but still get the lactic benefit. An 800m session I've done in the past is 3x3x300, same recovery as above but 800m pace; it's a good one to do as you're running faster than mile pace, but also training your ability to deal with lactic.

Re, 800m. When I ran 5:06 my race test session the week before was 2 x 800, with 10 mins recovery, and even that was hard! I ran 2:33 and 2:38.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
So the general principle is higher pace, lower reps and longer recovery, right? But does anyone have...