Intervals at 5k pace - why 5k pace?

9 watchers
Aug 2019
6:28pm, 13 Aug 2019
34,610 posts
  •  
Nellers
Thinking back to coaching course days I think the definition of intervals was simply around breaking the effort in a session down with rests, so maybe I'm just seeing it a s a broader description than you and Daniels.

I don't think we're really disagreeing about what training should or could be done to improve performance mate. It's just the way we describe it that's different.

That session sounds brutal by the way!
Aug 2019
10:52pm, 15 Aug 2019
9,021 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Actually that session is fine. It's just the 400m repetitions that are hard.

I find 7x1k @ interval pace or pyramids up to 1200m harder.

But I've never successfully found a good way of keeping my longer intervals at the same pace at shorter ones. My pace for 400/600m intervals was always ~5s/lap faster than 800/1000m which were ~5s/lap faster than 1200m intervals.

So I'm not quite keeping my speed endurance over the whole interval range.

I used to be pretty good at being metronomic within a session though, so if you told me to do 8x800m, I'd be pretty good at getting all 800s with a few secs of each other.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by slowby
I'm just starting out on a new training plan (Hal Higdon Half intermediate 2 fwiw). It all loo...