How is racing 10k supposed to feel

5 watchers
Sep 2018
11:56pm, 18 Sep 2018
16,722 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Hmm. I'll chuck in my mile splits for my most recent 10K. Stirling, my PB course and one I am pretty familiar with. For reference, I am markedly undertrained and reckon 12km is about the limit of what I could put in a sustained effort for. The course is not pancake flat, but it is certainly flat for Scotland, with most of the elevation change in one gradual descent, and one dip and moderate rise. Splits from gps which seems to have tracked accurately enough.

1. 9:33
2. 9:04 (downhill)
3. 9:17
4. 9:22
5. 9:34

6: 9:28 (dip and rise)
7. 8:45 pace

(58:11, which is 9:32 outside that PB :-(.)

About the 4K mark it occurred to me that I was jogging, albeit at a reasonable effort. It also occurred to me that in the circumstances, that felt about right to get me to the end. I did lift it over the last 400m, but not dramatically, so I reckon I paced it right on the day. I'm having another go (on another near-flat course) on Saturday.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by auburnette
...if you're aiming to perform to the best of your abilities?

5k I think I have the pacing s...