How far do you run, before taking on liquid/food?

4 watchers
Apr 2012
4:43pm, 10 Apr 2012
2,561 posts
  •  
Magpie Rob
I used to eat porridge before morning runs. Since I started training with Curly, I have found it is pretty easy to do LSRs without food or water as long as you have had something to drink beforehand. I would never have tried that strategy before but it did show that a water bottle is a bit of a comfort blanket.

We do make sure we have fruit in the house/car/hotel depending on where we run so we can eat as soon as possible afterwards before getting a proper meal.

Like sprouty, I don't get hangovers so post-alcohol running is easy enough for me and I have done some great races after heavy nights out. It's not something I would do before a marathon or a real target race. Nor would I recommend it to others!
Apr 2012
5:02pm, 10 Apr 2012
371 posts
  •  
GerryO
If the nutrition is in place before the run then I don't need any food on a long slow run up to fifteen or sixteen miles. I stash two or three gels about my person on the rare occasions that I go beyond this. Hydration is entirely weather dependent- I could use the best part of a litre from a camelbak on the above distance or hardly touch liquid depending on the temperature and my mood. On the bike I seem to devour calories and pour out sweat and having blown out badly a few times I am much more circumspect about making sure that I have food and water with me: gels have got me home on at least one occasion when I though I would have to be medi-vacced out. I do leave something nice in the car for the end of the run though, currently frij chocolate milk shakes which have about 500 calories in them are a favourite.
Apr 2012
5:17pm, 10 Apr 2012
6,047 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I can thoroughly recommend drinking alcohol whilst drinking. I get faster the more I drink.
Apr 2012
5:18pm, 10 Apr 2012
6,048 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Oh, and it's a tradition / superstition for me to have a pint or two the night before a race. I've PBd every time I've done that...
Apr 2012
2:35pm, 29 Apr 2012
1,666 posts
  •  
Garfield
Runs up to 10 miles, I find I don't need anything. Over that, I've been known to have a small bottle of water with me, and occasionally a gel, though I can do without if I've had a decent breakfast a couple hours beforehand.
Apr 2012
2:37pm, 29 Apr 2012
1,667 posts
  •  
Garfield
That's going to around half marathon distance or just over... I'll have shot bloks for the really long runs and electrolytes in water so I don't seize up...shame I didn't do that last week!
Apr 2012
2:45pm, 29 Apr 2012
1,476 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
Don't bother up to half mara, just water up to 15/16 but now do have some nutrition from 8 m on if it's over that. Still experimenting but jelly beans work ( but messy and sticky) as do shot bloks ( with water and after pay-day only). Just experimenting with SIS gels which have been recommended to me and Iskiate ( chia seeds, lemon juice and honey-seems very good, actually and much cheaper than gels) Porridge first thing, always.
Apr 2012
2:46pm, 29 Apr 2012
1,668 posts
  •  
Garfield
Yes, chia seeds are great...I need to get some more to make up, though I don't usually take it with me, but have it earlier.
Aug 2012
1:01pm, 19 Aug 2012
447 posts
  •  
Ade1973
Agree with the 10 mile rule of thumb- anything less def. no gels, a sip of water at most.

LSR/marathon ritual is always porridge, banana and tea a couple of hours before. Water and gels on the race- I find sports drinks really acidic after a whilte.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
At the risk of repeating myself from my blog, I have never run further than 10k in one go. This chan...