High WAVA/high performance thread?

35 watchers
Mar 2012
2:01pm, 17 Mar 2012
4,692 posts
  •  
LouLou
Would you consider racing on the track again smout? I know you have a track background - you've clearly got speed and wonder how fast you'd get on targettered short distance training? I think we all get lured into marathons and that may be where your strength ultimately lies but would be interesting to see how you'd fair on the short stuff again.
Mar 2012
2:03pm, 17 Mar 2012
3,989 posts
  •  
Smout
Ocht at the 18:10 an not upping of the WAVA Loca ggrrr! You'll still have a few more seconds in you... Mibbe even Sub 18? I'm thinking Sub 18 if no spring Mara next year....

Maybe :-o. Todays feeling was like a tried longer race finish more than a knackered 5k finish. Last time I had the knackered 5k proper ouch finish was when I set my 21:42 PB back in 2010 LOL. Dont get me wrong - I was feeling it - just not in the 5k pain way
Mar 2012
2:08pm, 17 Mar 2012
3,990 posts
  •  
Smout
Aye LouLou - I've been considering rejoining my old club for a while.

It's a fair ask to get back under my times when younger tho an my basic speed altho there really isn't *that *fast (found the notebook my dad used to keep the other day - my 200m PB was 28.7 :-o ). I'm hoping to keep the speed I do have there an hit the track once I'm a vet - the coach I trained with a few years ago for a wee while was at various masters championships an that defo appeals. For now I'm building my base tho an just keep the speed session in now an then :).

I reckon I'm doing a lot better with the endurance than I expected tho and hope to have a Sub 5 mile before I really got for a proper decent marathon time.
Mar 2012
2:09pm, 17 Mar 2012
3,991 posts
  •  
Smout
The thing with track is track training takes ages - I spent way more time training than I do now going to the track 3 times a week when younger to do less than 20 miles a week lol . It's time I don't have these days till wee man is older or I change my work situation.
Mar 2012
2:19pm, 17 Mar 2012
4,693 posts
  •  
LouLou
I know - wouldn't life be a lot simplier without work!! Your 200m PB is fab!! I think rejoining your old club would be a good move - I think if you can even make one session a week and have the feedback/ input from a coach would be good. And of course there is the fun side to club running. I would love to joing a club where I could get more input from a coach and also more structured speedwork - I find endurance is there but never really been one for speed so thats something I really want to build on.

Thought of a 10k next week scares me - I hate eyeballs out races!! Controlled efforts in marathons yes - speedy running - no!!
Mar 2012
2:47pm, 17 Mar 2012
1,934 posts
  •  
Loca
I might also be doing a 10km next weekend. Haven't decided yet, can enter on the day. It starts at 8am on Saturday morning though. Not sure I'll be fully awake enough. I'd have to be there and warming up for about 7:30am! ouch!
Mar 2012
2:57pm, 17 Mar 2012
3,996 posts
  •  
Smout
Yee-ouch Loca :-o 7:30 is just yuck (I can be up waaay earlier bu no much good at actually being awake an out the door lol)

Aye Grangemouth 10k is holding a wee bit of 'the fear' - Cupar 5 really hurt after the daft 1st mile so really need to keep the heid an no sub 6 the first mile like a muppet!
Mar 2012
3:19pm, 17 Mar 2012
4,694 posts
  •  
LouLou
I went out too fast at stirling - undoubtedly ran a 5k PB that day but no idea how fast it was as I ran without watch!

I'm doing Edinburgh half in May which is an 8am kick-off!! Not sure how I'll fuel that or make it to the start - no public transport to Edinburgh that early from here on a weeek day never mind sunday!!
Mar 2012
6:41pm, 17 Mar 2012
3,041 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
8am is no time to be racing :S
Mar 2012
9:01pm, 17 Mar 2012
1,935 posts
  •  
Loca
Well I was thinking...I've been doing my track sessions at 7am, so no reason why I shouldn't be racing at 8am! :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Loca
Ok, I know there are plenty of threads around to help and support people reach a race goal, sub 3hr ...