GYM, SWIM OR JUST RUN?

2 watchers
Oct 2012
1:02pm, 8 Oct 2012
30 posts
  •  
BurtBoy
Hi all, i've been thinking... In addition to running is there any one type of additional training I could/should be doing?

I have a gym close to my work and a pool just down the road - both separate. Im training for my first marathon but not sure if I should add weights sessions or Swimming (i can only really afford to do one) which would be best as an addition to my training plan?, is there something else I should be doing instead? or should i just run even more?

Thank you

Burtboy.
Oct 2012
1:04pm, 8 Oct 2012
12,893 posts
  •  
DeeGee
The best training for running is running. That said, I ran my second fastest ever marathon on a summer of triathlon.
Oct 2012
1:10pm, 8 Oct 2012
21,824 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
For your first marathon, if your body is able to cope with more running then that's how you should spend your training time. Neither weights nor swimming will make you run a better marathon, though swimming can be useful for maintaining cardiovascular fitness if you develop a niggle that makes running or other on-your-feet training inadvisable.
Oct 2012
1:13pm, 8 Oct 2012
230 posts
  •  
Steve Kennaugh
I love my single speed MTB. but i mostly run fells.
Oct 2012
1:23pm, 8 Oct 2012
4,221 posts
  •  
becca7
For marathon training the sort of weights that you need are low weight high repetition and pumping iron at the gym is not necessary.

There are some good exercises in the header of this thread:
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=47833

And this is a good set that you can do at home:
apbrwww5.apsu.edu

But Velociraptor's advice is good for your first marathon. You are going to give your body a lot to cope with by building up the miles so concentrate on that.
Oct 2012
11:04am, 9 Oct 2012
36 posts
  •  
Villageboy
thanks everyone for the beed back, thank you becca7 for the thread links too :)
Oct 2012
11:09am, 9 Oct 2012
47,818 posts
  •  
Puddington
Just run :-)
Oct 2012
12:00pm, 9 Oct 2012
9,103 posts
  •  
runner duck
if you want to cross-train i think cycling is more useful that swimming. although swimming seems to help stretch out my muscles but that might just be me :)
Oct 2012
3:58pm, 11 Oct 2012
41 posts
  •  
Villageboy
hmm, i do have a road bike, maybe thats not a bad idea, and its free too :)
Oct 2012
4:00pm, 11 Oct 2012
10,027 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
It's not free if you catch the cycling bug and decide you need a new bike!!! :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi all, i've been thinking... In addition to running is there any one type of additional training I...