Great South Run 2017

5 watchers
Sep 2017
9:55pm, 27 Sep 2017
19,843 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
No, not local Steve but it's become a tradition in our family now - a gang of us stay in Seaview on the IoW for the weekend, and initially just my SiL and I ran but for the last coupe of years my son has joined us too. We get the catamaran over and the walk down to the start counts as the warm-up :-). There's been a varying number of Fetchies in previous years and some of us meet by the tanks to say 'Hi and Good luck!' (and later, claim each other's stickers ;-))
Sep 2017
10:12am, 28 Sep 2017
625 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Sounds like a lovely way to do things LD, nice! I often take yacht charterers over to Seaview for lunch, lovely spot. As a local/vet I tend to bimble into the start pen just a couple of minutes before the off but I might get to see you by the tanks this year (there'll be lots of Gosport Road Runners, I'll be the one with 'Steve' on his vest!)
Sep 2017
10:16am, 28 Sep 2017
5,542 posts
  •  
Pompey Paul
Best of luck to all of you. I can't make it this year as I will be volunteering at another race
Sep 2017
10:22am, 28 Sep 2017
626 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Cheers Paul
Sep 2017
12:13pm, 28 Sep 2017
7,258 posts
  •  
Blister
That seems most logical, thanks guys. I also messaged the team on Facebook, but the reply was "you start just in front of the Orange wave on the day" - which I'm assuming means there is a separate entrance.

I'm quite nervous about this one - the last time I did GSR was in 2008 and there was a Fetch meet up before and after (we were a much smaller community in those days!). I feel a bit more pressure to "perform" now they have given me a yellow bib - honestly not sure if I'm in sub 60 shape!

I'm doing a session of 3 x 2 miles with 3 minutes recovery tonight and the aim is sub 6 mile pace, so that will give me a good indication. Then next week I plan to do a 5 mile tempo in under 30 minutes... ouch!
Sep 2017
2:01pm, 28 Sep 2017
630 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
You'll be home and hosed by the time I trot past the Yomper Blister!

As you'll probably recall from previous GSR's, the icing, or lack of it, on your race time will mostly be in proportion to any headwind in the 2 miles along Southsea seafront. No wind/tail wind: = happy days/PB?; headwind +10kn = never mind, see you next year! Good luck👊
Sep 2017
2:45pm, 28 Sep 2017
19,845 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Indeed. I have never forgotten the St Clements Storm year when running along the seafront was a bit like doing a Marcel Marceau mime as so little progress was being made :-)

Sub 60:-0 - these days I'd be thrilled to do a 10k in sub 60 ;-)
Sep 2017
3:15pm, 28 Sep 2017
7,259 posts
  •  
Blister
That's very true Steve! I remember one year it wasn't too bad, so hopefully we will be lucky this year!

I will be driving down with my wife and baby, so I hope they have enough parking.

Daisy, it's all relative. I look at the guys running sub 50 minutes and that seems so unreachable.
Oct 2017
11:50am, 20 Oct 2017
7,260 posts
  •  
Blister
It looks like we are getting strong winds this year! Is everything ready for Sunday?
Oct 2017
12:31pm, 20 Oct 2017
20,097 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I am in the queue waiting to get on the IoW ferry (will come over from Ryde on Sunday.) I know I've packed my running kit and my race number, so I'm as ready as possible :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by LazyDaisy
Who's in?