GPX upload - "The system now supports multiple runs in the same GPX file."

2 watchers
Sep 2015
12:52pm, 2 Sep 2015
217 posts
  •  
larkim
I've got a job load of runs to upload, and noticed that the GPX upload page says "The system now supports multiple runs in the same GPX file."

Does this mean that if I find the right format for combining multiple runs into one file, and then upload that GPX file, I'll get my desired result - i.e. multiple training log entries?

Fetch has in the past bulk uploaded for me, but I'd prefer to self-serve if I can!

Thanks!

Matt
Sep 2015
1:24pm, 2 Sep 2015
16,345 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
You could give it a try with two short runs - it should work ok. There's an 'Activities' node in the XML, and inside that, each 'Activity' represents a run. You might run into issues if you try to do a lot in one go, so just bear that in mind, and maybe try testing an increasing number, if two works.

Alternatively, have a look on the API thread. There are a few solutions for those willing to do a bit of programming / fiddling, that might give you a smoother ride in the long-term.
Sep 2015
1:40pm, 2 Sep 2015
218 posts
  •  
larkim
Cheers - I used to use the Garmin Connect route, but now got a TomTom watch, which auto-uploads to TomTom (and Strava). I could use Tapiriik to also sync automatically to GarminConnect, but Garmin Connect then appears to refuse to push newly sync'd runs from there into Fetch, so for the last few months I've been luxuriating in the auto-upload to strava but lamenting the absence of updates to Fetch! I'll take a look at the API, but that might be stretching my capabilities!!

Thanks!
Sep 2015
1:50pm, 2 Sep 2015
16,346 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've got a TT too - I'll give them another pester and see if I can make any progress with an auto-upload.
Sep 2015
2:13pm, 2 Sep 2015
912 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I wrote an article on using the API for batch uploading. See here:
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=529

CW
Sep 2015
2:47pm, 2 Sep 2015
219 posts
  •  
larkim
Cheers CW

Sadly, all I've got are GPX files, so the TCX upload seems unavailable for me.

Fetch - getting Tapiriik to add Fetch to the sites it would synchronise to would perhaps be something work pursuing, but getting TomTom to push it across would be even better - good luck with that!
Sep 2015
2:49pm, 2 Sep 2015
220 posts
  •  
larkim
Edit - of course, I can grab the tcx files from Garmin Connect, so that might be a go-er!
Sep 2015
3:19pm, 2 Sep 2015
221 posts
  •  
larkim
2nd edit - even better, I can use Tapiriik to sync to a Dropbox folder and then use this as my source for a tcx upload. Not entirely automagic, but not far off.
Sep 2015
3:30pm, 2 Sep 2015
5,533 posts
  •  
Badger
The API code which I wrote & CW used doesn't handle GPX as it stands, but it would be very easy to change it to do so (and it's literally the top of the to-do list for that code). TCX are better because you can tell from the file whether it's a run, bike or something else, and upload it as the correct thing, and because it's a lot easier to tell whether it's an activity or Something Else (like a course, say).

I'd need to add a few lines to parse GPX instead of TCX, and maybe let you specify whether it's a run or a ride for upload. I can do that if you're interested. Let me know. It would be handy to get a TomTom GPX file from you, just to check format consistency.
Sep 2015
4:21pm, 2 Sep 2015
222 posts
  •  
larkim
I can certainly send a TomTom output to you - but the route I would be getting them from is from Strava's export, so they are not a native TomTom file.

I've now grabbed my tcx files instead via Tapiriik from GarminConnect so I'll be using tcx files anyway - the point about the run / bike etc categorisation makes sense, and I will have a blend of different ones.

I can see me uploading like this on a monthly basis - though ultimately it would be nice to have a hands-free option at some point with either TomTom's servers or some other route pushing data into Fetch. If nothing else, it keeps me off the computer!!

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
I've got a job load of runs to upload, and noticed that the GPX upload page says "The system now s...