Garmin 610 - how do I upload to Fetch?

3 watchers
Sep 2014
9:32pm, 24 Sep 2014
4,437 posts
  •  
Badger
Have you recently installed Garmin Express? Like the old ANT agent, it transfers the files from the watch, parks them on the PC/Mac, then sends them to Garmin Connect. It stores the fit files in a different place from where the ANT agent did, so the Communicator plugin can't find them any more. You can upload them individually (using Add Training>Fit) from the locations described here:
support.garmin.com
This is reasonably deliberate by Garmin, as they want to phase Communicator out completely because the browser coders are moving away from using plugins. It's a nuisance for us users who want to use sites other than Connect and the handful that GC will transfer directly to.
Fetch's API for the site has a few coders interested and eventually somebody will probably come up with something that will work the way Communicator did to upload all the new files, but in the meantime it's one by one I'm afraid.
Sep 2014
5:14pm, 28 Sep 2014
7,160 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I am also stumped, new 610 and like ladymruns I cannot find how to get my data across to fetch neither.

I am using a mac, fetch can see the garmin and plug in. I have tried to load a fit file but nothing is showing in my documents…. end of tether thinking its time to bring back my 305. *sobs*
Oct 2014
11:25pm, 2 Oct 2014
1,033 posts
  •  
icklevee
Ah right I will have to give that a go Badger. What if I delete Garmin Express for the time being, would it then work the old way of uploading?
Oct 2014
12:05am, 3 Oct 2014
2,524 posts
  •  
Winded
The library files on the mac are hidden in the standard set up because apple don't want the average user to mess with them. It is a bit nanny state but I confess I quite like it.

You can get the FIT file from Garmin as easily as from the library file (very nearly). Set up garmin express so it automatically loads the activity to garmin connect. Then when you want to find a FIT file open the activity in garmin connect, click on the cog icon thingy in the top right corner and select "export original" - the FIT file will be dumped into your downloads folder and you can do whatever you like with it - including upload it to fetch in the usual way.
Oct 2014
12:13am, 3 Oct 2014
2,525 posts
  •  
Winded
Err - by the usual way I mean Finder will now see the file, as will the upload FIT file tool.
Oct 2014
12:28pm, 3 Oct 2014
4,448 posts
  •  
Badger
icklevee, you'd have to remove Garmin express then re-install the ANT agent, I think.
What Winded suggested is what I've generally been doing these days, for the most part (except on a PC or Unix machine).
The Express files might be hidden on a PC too, there's advice in one of the FE articles on how to view them.

(Actually I'm mainly using the FE API to upload, but it isn't something I can share for the moment, and it won't handle FIT files for the moment either...)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ladyemruns
Sorry, 42 year old with no patience and reduced technological capacity ;-) I have a Garmin 610 which...