Fetch Camper Vans

1 lurker | 89 watchers
Jun 2020
8:57pm, 28 Jun 2020
70,470 posts
  •  
Gobi
Being a T4 owner the forums can be a little hostile in regards T5 and T6, not sure I get it but the whole waving thing is awkward at best.
Jun 2020
8:22am, 29 Jun 2020
9,865 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
We have a great Kent forum for T4, 5 & 6's. Meet uponce a month (when covid allows again). Its a good way of having a nose at others Van's, getting advice etc.
Jun 2020
9:17am, 29 Jun 2020
70,483 posts
  •  
Gobi
Mandymoo - I have joined a couple of online groups but I have to be honest the meet ups and clubs scare me.

I am not a VW lover, I got a T4 because there were lots of spares for them compared to the VITO or Renault. Frankly I had a Renault double cab and it was a much better drive than the T4 in every way.

I didn't want a T5 as pretty much every person I know who owns one I have clashed with(oops) p.s/ If you own a T5 and we haven't clashed I apologise in advance for sterotyping you or mail me so we can clash and I can keep my view of T5 owners :¬)

The T6 is biblical in price and not pretty for what is almost my 4th choice vehicle and to be honest when we started this out we were not sure I would really embace it.

However a year later I have been racing in Plymouth and around Ben Nevis which has meant nights in the van and it was so good during CX season its incredible.

These next few weekends are huge for us as we are taking the big guy away and if that goes well who knows what happens next but if we buy a newer van the chances are it will be a proper Camper like a Hymer.

ps. What is with people and wanting more power ? I bought a shitty old 2.4D non turbo van expecting to do 55 and it will actualy sit happily at 65/70 and will do 80. I already have a fast motorbike so can collect points drama free :¬)
Jun 2020
11:20am, 29 Jun 2020
231 posts
  •  
TommyK
I'm with you Gobi, on the subject of more power. Our first van would do 60, downhill, with a tailwind.

The Boxer based van we have now would easily top 100, but, really the only time we use any decent speed (or 6th gear!) is on the motorway sprint from Glasgow to The Channel Tunnel. Otherwise we're pottering along.
Jun 2020
11:22am, 29 Jun 2020
232 posts
  •  
TommyK
Oh, and, yes, speed is what the motorbike is for (if I feel the need, as it where)!
Jun 2020
11:24am, 29 Jun 2020
70,489 posts
  •  
Gobi
Motorbike happiness
Jun 2020
1:23pm, 29 Jun 2020
6,509 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Blinking heck Gobi. If you didn't buy a T5 just because you were concerned about potential clashes with owners of that particular vehicle, you've got bigger issues than I imagined.

For all your expertise on HR training you do talk crap sometimes. Power is most certainly not of the essence in a campervan, but if you have a heavily-loaded vehicle (mine weighs 2.5 tons) a good lump of torque will help it get up those hills.
Jun 2020
1:32pm, 29 Jun 2020
70,496 posts
  •  
Gobi
NE - I did avoid a T5 for owner reputation reasons.

I also didnt go truly old school rear engine for the same reason.

It's hard enough accepting I have a T4 given my cyclists view on anything classed as a German Motor vehicle :-)

Issues - I have huge issues :-)
Jun 2020
1:32pm, 29 Jun 2020
70,497 posts
  •  
Gobi
Ps. Talk crap sometimes , only sometimes ??
Jun 2020
1:33pm, 29 Jun 2020
18,682 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Hahahaha

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...