Feeling sick after running

1 watcher
Dec 2012
10:30am, 17 Dec 2012
14,983 posts
  •  
sheri3004
OK, this is getting weird.

Several times after long or medium-long runs now I get very sick, mostly just feeling very nauseous but sometimes actually being sick. I feel fine while running usually, it's about 30 minutes after that the sickness starts. I had thought it was related to something I had eaten or drunk during the run, but I did 12 miles yesterday without taking anything except a cup of water about halfway (I was well hydrated beforehand), and felt very unwell for about an hour and a half afterwards, had to lie down as every time I stood up I felt dizzy and sick. I was fine after that.

It's a fairly recent thing, at least with this degree of regularity.

Any thoughts??
Dec 2012
10:51am, 17 Dec 2012
5,339 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
Maybe you're up the duff? ;)

Seriously though, I don't know. I get that sometimes but always have. Unsure why you would suddenly start to get it.
Dec 2012
10:55am, 17 Dec 2012
14,988 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Haha, I am most definitely *not* up the duff!
Dec 2012
11:04am, 17 Dec 2012
12,165 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Are you fuelling up enough?
Dec 2012
11:05am, 17 Dec 2012
14,990 posts
  •  
sheri3004
Hmm, not sure. Would that make me feel sick?
Dec 2012
11:15am, 17 Dec 2012
10,158 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Do you eat or drink anything when you finish your run?
Dec 2012
11:28am, 17 Dec 2012
12,167 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've certainly felt a bit light-headed / dizzy (but not sick) post run on a few occasions, but admittedly that's been in races where I've pushed it a bit. You'd be better speaking to someone who actually knows about bodies, rather than me - but I think it's a mixture of maybe being very low on energy, combined with suddenly stopping exercise.
Dec 2012
11:32am, 17 Dec 2012
14,991 posts
  •  
sheri3004
It was a pretty gentle run so I hadn't been pushing it but underfuelling is possible....

I did drink a fair bit (water and juice) when I got home but I didn't eat anything till much later because I just didn't feel hungry/couldn't face it.
Dec 2012
11:39am, 17 Dec 2012
233 posts
  •  
mushroom
For me, 1 cup of water in 12 miles doesn't sound like much, even at a gentle pace. The times I've felt sick after running I've put down to under-hydration.

Different people need different levels of course, but maybe experiment a bit with taking small regular drinks during your runs - at least you could then rule it out and try something else?
Dec 2012
11:39am, 17 Dec 2012
3,912 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
I said I definitenly wasn't. Just been texting hubby about eldest's nativity costume. He shared my pukemaking PB with me apparently.

Oh, and the serious anwer. Fuelling? I got like that a few times after going to the gym and not eating enough at work. Nearly fell asleep in a big meeting. Very embarassing. In the olden days when I had time to do long runs, I didn't ever feel hungry after long runs and if I missed my chance I got nauseous later. I found I could stomach a home made banana milkshake and that solved it. So if you can't eat something how about a calorific/protein drink? But prob not just sugary in case you get a rebound drop in sugars.

Also too much caffiene in general life (ie not specific to just before run) knocks me sick once my mileage goes up.

About This Thread

Maintained by sheri3004
OK, this is getting weird.

Several times after long or medium-long runs now I get very sick, most...