Charlesvdw
Omnivores of course, I stand corrected.
What's your ferritin level Chrisull ?
Nov 2023
11:55am, 11 Nov 2023
20,856 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Normal - 43, but seeing as the range is 30-300, I'm guessing I'm tending to the low end of this? In fact NHS North Tees as normal being 41-400.
Nov 2023
3:20pm, 11 Nov 2023
145 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
A hematologist told me recently runners should have 40-50. I had 26 (ref value 15-250) so I took iron pills every other day for two months until I was above 40.

Can't say that I felt a difference though.
Nov 2023
5:12pm, 11 Nov 2023
20,857 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The NHS sites have different values for men and women. Men have either a mininum of 30 or 40, depending where you read. It's only ladies that it says 15. Medical types please feel to correct me if I'm wrong...

I only reckon I feel a difference when really pushing, and it's hard to describe. It's because in 2018 I suffered palpitations in a race, and blood tests showed anaemia, 3 weeks of iron and I was suddenly back, running 2-3 minutes faster for the 10k. But the feeling stayed with me, it's of like a soft , cotton woolly tiredness that robs you of your desire to push through it, and if you do, palpitations can follow. And also once you hit that feeling, you don't get a second wind.

Before 2018, feeling tired was much more "hard edged". You tire, you pant, you feel breathless, you ease back, you go again. I realise this is totally anecdotal, but for me there is a difference. My better half has pointed out, I'm only on half dose iron, so I'm going to double it and cut my tea drinking quite a bit.
Nov 2023
6:40pm, 11 Nov 2023
146 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Iron is best absorbed when taken on an empty stomach and not with food.

Coffee, milk and tea inhibit absorption. Vitamin C (e.g. orange juice) enhances absorption.
Nov 2023
11:11pm, 11 Nov 2023
20,858 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yep. Cutting tea back and adding juice here. Some other links from running sites suggesting some runners function fine on ferritin as low as 25 but other may need as high as 50. No hard evidence, seems mainly anecdotal from coaches but plausible. Recent studies recommend it over 50 before altitude training too.

I'll see how it goes and report back. But first I have to recover from my injury that's kept me out for over 6 weeks. But personally speaking, already less fatigue.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I don't post on here any more but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about or has sports anae...