Sports anaemia

6 watchers
Mar 2013
1:30pm, 28 Mar 2013
54 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
I don't post on here any more but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about or has sports anaemia?

I had a blood test last week and apparently my blood cells are too small and way below the normal range. It might be worth adding that I have been a vegetarian for 11 years although I eat a good, varied diet. I generally get about 9/10 hours sleep a night because I feel like I need it (I run on average about 65 miles per week)

I have done some research into running and anaemia/endurance sports and anaemia etc and have found a condition called 'sports anaemia' which is common among long distance runners. Here's a link to it.. pathologystudent.com

I'm not exactly short of energy but my circulation is poor. If my feet get cold they will literally go blue and I had episodes a few years back when I would wake up and my lips were tinted blue because of the weird circulation thing. I'm also quite pale but that might just be my colouring!

Anameic people's hearts and lungs have to work harder to get oxygen around the body which is a slight concern for me i.e. if I'm pushing my body to the max in training and racing, I don't want to stress my heart/lungs too much for obvious reasons.

Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light :)

Thanks
Mar 2013
1:41pm, 28 Mar 2013
5,394 posts
  •  
Footpad
It may be a more common cause and you need some iron supplements? Did you check with the Doc doing the blood test he can also check your iron levels if needed.

Good to see you here :-)
Mar 2013
1:48pm, 28 Mar 2013
47,938 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
do you have any more specifics than that?
Like-your haemoglobin or ferritin(marker for iron stores)
A lot of women have low iron stored or even anaemia cos blood loss from their periods
have you been given iron to take?
Mar 2013
1:53pm, 28 Mar 2013
55 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
The blood test was for a separate issue but they did a full blood count and requested another one because of this specific issue with the blood cells being too small..

PO - No, afraid not. The doctor simply said it was nothing to worry about (even though it was way below the normal range) but I like to err on the side of caution.. so did some research and found all that above. My mum is anaemic too so I'm wondering whether genetics play a part.. but like I said, I eat a good diet probably the majority of iron I get is from raw spinach that I eat with dinner every day.
Mar 2013
2:06pm, 28 Mar 2013
1,644 posts
  •  
Mykey
I thought something in spinach (oxalic acid?) inhibited the absorption of the iron (and calcium) and so wasn't considered a very effective source of dietary iron despite the large amount the plant contains.
Mar 2013
2:07pm, 28 Mar 2013
56 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
I know that plant iron cannot be absorbed as well as meat iron but obviously that's not an option for me. I have taken iron supplements in the past but they just make me feel sick or give me stomach problems
Mar 2013
2:08pm, 28 Mar 2013
57 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
Like I say, I don't actually have energy problems really, it's not like I'm going round like a stereotypical anameic person (if there is such a thing?) all tired and ill looking.. it's just concerning to me given the amount of training/racing I do to have this issue.
Mar 2013
2:15pm, 28 Mar 2013
14,681 posts
  •  
halfpint
If you are not tired or lacking in energy then is it actually an issue? Had you not had a blood test then you would be none the wiser and wouldn't be worrying about it. And the doc says it's nothing to worry about.
Mar 2013
2:34pm, 28 Mar 2013
58 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
True :)
Mar 2013
2:37pm, 28 Mar 2013
59 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
I do often think that my respiratory system lets me down compared with my general fitness though i.e. my legs feel like they could run 100 miles but my respiratory system gives in first.. it almost feels like I am having to work harder than other runners in some races when we are running the same pace. Not sure that will make much sense to people who haven't a clue what I'm banging on about but it makes sense to me :)

Also I used to get very tired when I worked in an office and tried to fit training in too, now that I work for myself it's much better but I do still wonder how everyone fits everything in/isn't exhausted all the time

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I don't post on here any more but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about or has sports anae...