Feedback from wonderful fetchies on training plans

1 watcher
Aug 2013
9:14pm, 8 Aug 2013
553 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Just applying the 10% rule for someone who logged < 50 miles last month, 14 in one go 'may' be a risk - I'm just saying.. <smiley face with 'no dramas' hands> :)
Aug 2013
9:25pm, 8 Aug 2013
16,598 posts
  •  
KTM94P
Very valid point, well made.

And to be honest, before my first HM, I'd run more than 10k, once. The week before which was a 10-miler. And I think from memory I sneaked a 1:49 ;-)
Aug 2013
10:02pm, 8 Aug 2013
368 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
My first half for more than a quarter of a century, with virtually no running in between. So treat it as my first half :)

With 3 months to go, there would be time to work up from my current longest run (just over 8) to 14 miles while obeying the 10% rule. But it would mean increasing the long run pretty much week on week... and that would be tough to maintain, I feel. I did it 28 years ago, and knackered my knee in the process, hence why I stopped running then. I'm trying to balance enthusiasm and caution.
Aug 2013
10:15pm, 8 Aug 2013
5,848 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My first half was done with a longest ever run of ten mikes before hand. And also run at ten k pace. It will be no surprise that I blew up badly and couldn't walk properly for a week. Getting the mikes done easily will make if a better experience.
Aug 2013
10:20pm, 8 Aug 2013
16,602 posts
  •  
KTM94P
I was lucky, started first HM at 9 min/mile pace and mile on mile slightly increased the pace, and felt great. However running my first marathon was exactly the opposite :(
Aug 2013
4:40pm, 10 Aug 2013
384 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
All a bit moot now, as less than 10 hours after my last post I sprained my ankle :(

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
I have spent many seconds lovingly handcrafting a training plan to build me up to a November half ma...