Edinburgh Marathon

22 watchers
May 2018
12:54pm, 8 May 2018
5,497 posts
  •  
Iron Thigh Girl
I think the half starts 2 hours earlier. So you'd be finished before the Marathon even starts. It's pants that they won't let you swap for the half.
Feb 2019
9:41pm, 3 Feb 2019
1,522 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Hello. Anyone else entered EM(F) 2019? Thought I would watch this for a bit in case there is any interest. 16 week training plan starts tomorrow...
Feb 2019
10:24am, 4 Feb 2019
55 posts
  •  
Harlequin
I have. My goal is a little more modest than yours though - finish it without my legs falling off.

Yes, 16 week plan starts today. Day 1 = rest day. So far I like this plan.

Good luck!
Feb 2019
11:29am, 4 Feb 2019
30,331 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good luck guys. I enjoyed EM last year. Conditions were good and the change to the route added a bit of city interest without really slowing down times too much. Enjoy! :-) G
ITG
Feb 2019
11:34am, 4 Feb 2019
6,758 posts
  •  
ITG
ooooh, where does it go through the city, Grrr? I did it in 2016 and loved it, but it was mostly out on the coast.
Feb 2019
11:40am, 4 Feb 2019
56 posts
  •  
Harlequin
It still does. It starts in the University grounds, heads past Holyrood House & Arthur's Seat, then potters off out past Musselburgh along the coast.
Feb 2019
11:46am, 4 Feb 2019
30,333 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's the change though Harlequin. In 2016 (and from about 2004 or 05 to 2017 I think) it went straight from London Road and Regent Road, both east of Princes Street and went straight east to the coast, so never touched any of the centre or the city.

Now, it starts at George Square (the uni square) and goes past McEwan Hall, Surgeon's Hall, down Forest Road, along George IV Bridge, down the Mound, past Bank of Scotland historical building, past the National and Royal Galleries, through Princes St Gardens east, past Scott Monument, Waverley Bridge past station, down the Royal Mile to Holyrood House... and then continues as per your description.

So a bit of city sights, for a couple of miles, at least! :-) G
ITG
Feb 2019
11:59am, 4 Feb 2019
6,759 posts
  •  
ITG
Yes, it didn't go through the university area or the centre when I did it. I started on London Road. Certainly no Princes St.
Feb 2019
12:16pm, 4 Feb 2019
57 posts
  •  
Harlequin
I gather they'd fiddled with it a bit - as I understand it, it was something to do with the hill at the beginning apparently but I didn't know the details, so thanks for the context. Yes, it looks like we're going to have a little more sightseeing around the city. Probably not enough time for selfies though.
Feb 2019
12:22pm, 4 Feb 2019
58 posts
  •  
Harlequin
Actually my biggest concern right now is logistics. I've got accommodation sorted, just need to make sure that transport etc is all going to work out. I really don't want to start off with a massive sprint to make the start line.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Well now the VLM is finished I feel the pressure is now on for the Edinburgh. This is my first mara...