Cycling training plan for beginners - any recommendations?

5 watchers
Sep 2012
7:59pm, 27 Sep 2012
3,350 posts
  •  
kwala
I put this under tri as there seem to be more cycling experts hanging around here than in the other sections for some reason!! Anyone know of a good plan for beginners? I've started looking around the web but like running plans there are quite a few and I'm not sure where to begin.

I'm on an exercise bike at the moment until my muscles have a bit more strength - doing 30-40 mins "now and then" but want to add more structure so I can actually start making some progress. When I do get back outside, I'm likely to only cycle on weekends as not keen on cycling in the dark on the roads round here, so will be combining exercise bike with outdoors.

Can I just adapt a general cycling plan or should I find a specific one for the exercise bike?

Long term aim is distance rather than speed (although I won't object to picking up speed along the way!).
Sep 2012
8:10pm, 27 Sep 2012
17,136 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
It's a bit like running in that you need to start steady, increase distance gradually and then you'll be able to ride for longer. Again, like running, you can ride for miles or for time spent on bike. This may depend on terrain - bit like the difference between running on road for a couple of hours or off road for a couple.

What do you mean by 'structure' and 'progress'?
Sep 2012
8:27pm, 27 Sep 2012
3,351 posts
  •  
kwala
Structure - as in a specific training session on specific days,something like the C25k beginners running plan for example. Rather than my current 'as and when I feel like it' approach.

Progress, well I guess I could just do a few extra mins each time, that would be progress, but like with running you wouldn't just keep adding on time, you would do intervals or whatever as well as increasing long runs ( never really got that far in running to incorporate this kind of stuff into my running!!) - should I be doing something along those lines on the bike?
Sep 2012
9:50pm, 27 Sep 2012
17,138 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
Well, you can. And certainly if you are sticking mainly to the exercise bike anything that helps break up the monotony can't be a bad thing. Let me try and find a link to a turbo site which has suggestions on it (I think)
Sep 2012
9:53pm, 27 Sep 2012
81 posts
  •  
Steve Kennaugh
I would recomend just getting out and enjoying your rides.
Sep 2012
10:00pm, 27 Sep 2012
17,139 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
That I'd recommend for the weekends when you are riding outside, absolutely. Go new places, new conquercise zones etc.

I can't find the site I half remembered which had some ideas for indoor sessions. Indoors you can be a bit more intense because a) it's more boring so a quicker session is better and b) I find it easier to put a bit more effort in inside.

Pyramid sessions are quite handy to remember while you are doing them - so 5 mins warm up then 90 s hard, 90 s rest, 75 seconds hard, 75 rest etc and then build back up. Something like that?
Sep 2012
10:04pm, 27 Sep 2012
3,354 posts
  •  
kwala
Steve - I am looking forward to some weekend bike rides, but left leg is still a bit weak following knee surgery (and not being a good girl and doing my exercises earlier in the recovery phase), so I am worried about going out somewhere on the bike and not being able to get back! Just need to get a bit more strength back - and some confidence too!
Sep 2012
10:04pm, 27 Sep 2012
3,355 posts
  •  
kwala
Thankyou SW :-)
Sep 2012
10:14pm, 27 Sep 2012
1,966 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Kwala, if you're looking to build up leg strength, you could also try some 1 leg drills on an indoor bike. Warm up with 5-10 mins cycling, then take 1 foot off and cycle for 30 secs/1 min and repeat. That's only if it doesn't hurt your knee of course!
Sep 2012
10:34pm, 27 Sep 2012
3,356 posts
  •  
kwala
Thanks Scribbler - I'm going to try that out tomorrow.

About This Thread

Maintained by kwala
I put this under tri as there seem to be more cycling experts hanging around here than in the other ...