Comrades Marathon 2022

6 watchers
Jul 2022
7:43pm, 27 Jul 2022
139 posts
  •  
Lacal
Thank you for that story Kelvin. A great account of the race.
Jul 2022
11:15am, 28 Jul 2022
565 posts
  •  
icenutter
Nice blog, thanks.

Ankles doing much better now. I can walk pain free. Its quite stiff though. My plan is to do 50km this weekend on sunday, so I'll do a test run on Friday or Saturday to test things out.
Aug 2022
5:33am, 1 Aug 2022
140 posts
  •  
Lacal
How was the run, Icenutter and how is your ankle?
Aug 2022
7:31am, 1 Aug 2022
569 posts
  •  
icenutter
Ankle's just about OK, Comrades isn't over! I did a 5k tester run on Thursday night, which went OK. It was a bit stiff, but not particularly painful. It was a bit sore on Friday.

But yesterday I did a 50km run on the Dava Trail in Scotland. It's one of those disused railways, now used as a long distance path. The scenery was amazing. When I got to the end I'd only done 44km, so I had to do a slightly soul destroying 3k out and 3k back. Ankle was OK, I was limping a bit at the end.

The only terror I have now is that I was pretty knackered after 50km, but raceday another 90km...
Aug 2022
7:36am, 1 Aug 2022
141 posts
  •  
Lacal
Glad to hear ankle is almost better.

On the day at Comrades - the crowd support will carry you along and the other runners. When your fitness runs out - that will carry you. The last 20 kms will hurt - no matter how fit you are!
Aug 2022
9:15pm, 3 Aug 2022
570 posts
  •  
icenutter
I listened to that podcast you mentioned a few messages ago Lacal. It’s a great interview with Barry Holland. If anyone out there is comrades-curious then you should listen to this:
podcasts.apple.com
Aug 2022
1:21pm, 17 Aug 2022
3,750 posts
  •  
Mr. K.
Not long to go now. :-)
Aug 2022
1:19pm, 19 Aug 2022
142 posts
  •  
Lacal
It's getting very close!
Aug 2022
6:31pm, 29 Aug 2022
143 posts
  •  
Lacal
How did your race go Icenutter?
Sep 2022
10:10am, 4 Sep 2022
571 posts
  •  
icenutter
Great, how about you?

I had the most wonderful time. I can honestly say Comrades was the best race I have ever done. Nothing is even close to to it. I picked up a pace band for 9:30 at the expo, but after 30km or so I thought that might be a bit tasty. I then re-calibrated and decided to go for under 10 hours, for a Robert Mtshali medal. There then followed about 50km of mental arithmetic trying to work out if I was OK or not. I was sure I would finish OK, but not so sure about 10 hours. With about 3k to go, I heard a 10h pacing group catching me up, so picked up the pace a bit (relatively speaking), and finished in 9:54.

I'd left half the gels and things I was going to take in my hotel, so I grazed from the feed stations. That worked well for me, so I'll do something similar next time

The final punishment was walking up the stairs out of the stadium, how cruel!

Also met Camille Heron, she's a legend.

And Bruce Fordyce, who is the legend of legends, and got to wear his winners medal from 1981. It's probably bad luck to wear it, but as I'll never be in contention, I'll take the risk

About This Thread

Maintained by icenutter
Is anyone doing Comrades this year?

I’ve got a place carried over from 2020 and we all know how 2020 panned out. Trainings going well at the moment. This will be my first ultra, so it’s a big step up.