Bournemouth Marathon

6 watchers
Apr 2016
8:23am, 13 Apr 2016
239 posts
  •  
Andrew D
Am doing this one in October and hoping to go sub 3:10, maybe even sub 3 if the Gods are with me! (last went under 3 in London 2001).If there is anyone out there in Fetchland who has done it before, is the course conducive for a fast time?
Apr 2016
9:33am, 13 Apr 2016
8,207 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Huntsman is your man, if I recall I think he said it was 'hilly'
Apr 2016
9:45am, 13 Apr 2016
2,490 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I did it too. There are a few sharp ups / downs and a few out n backs / turning round cones that break the rhythm more than anything. It's not brutally hilly but I wouldn't say it's a fast course. Being on the sea front the weather could be an issue too.

The crowds were good though and the organization excellent. Good luck!
Apr 2016
11:26am, 13 Apr 2016
242 posts
  •  
Andrew D
Cheers guys, I've done Brighton a couple of times too and those seafront sections can be a bit iffy if you catch the wind in the wrong direction!
Apr 2016
11:59am, 13 Apr 2016
8,694 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I thought he said it was flattish?
Apr 2016
4:36pm, 13 Apr 2016
3,496 posts
  •  
Huntsman
Right my thoughts on the Bournemouth Marathon course. The first half is ok apart from a steep hill at Boscombe Gardens and their are long stretches on the prom where you will be fighting the wind or going with it. You run down both piers and they're exposed and slow because of tight turns. There is a lot of turning back on yourself throughout the course.

Now the 2nd half. I've ran the Bournemouth Marathon twice. The first time I ran the 2nd half it ruined me because of a real strength sapping hill at 17-18 miles a twisty turny section through the gardens then a long slog down the prom to the finish. So a tough 2nd half which they then made even tougher by introducing a new horrible uphill section at about mile 22 in Alum Chine. I've ran the hilly North Dorset Village Marathon which is hilly and not a fast course but is imo faster than Bournemouth. Bournemouth is a course that will trash your legs. It's not a fast course.

Also you have to go over the finish line just before the horrendous BIC hill. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to PB or to travel to. Crap course! :-0
Apr 2016
4:42pm, 13 Apr 2016
257 posts
  •  
Andrew D
Many thanks Huntsman, looks like I will just be running this one for the "Fun" of it and not for that elusive PB, will have to console myself with a nice chip supper on the seafront afterwards, any recommendations?
Apr 2016
4:47pm, 13 Apr 2016
3,497 posts
  •  
Huntsman
Harry Ramsdens Bournemouth Pier :-)

Quick Marathon courses - Chester, Abingdon, Manchester & Berlin are quick I understand.
Apr 2016
4:49pm, 13 Apr 2016
258 posts
  •  
Andrew D
Harry's it is then and maybe Abingdon next year (on shift for this year) :)
Apr 2016
6:24pm, 13 Apr 2016
841 posts
  •  
westmoors
Can't comment on the course but I do know that hydration station 3 at about 9 miles is the best on the course!!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Am doing this one in October and hoping to go sub 3:10, maybe even sub 3 if the Gods are with me! (l...