Beekeeping Fetchies

17 watchers
Nov 2019
4:16pm, 20 Nov 2019
1,100 posts
  •  
Trin
So there's me and Winniefree, are there any other fetchies either keeping bees or wanabee beekeepers?

Here we can share our experience, ideas, questions and generally chat about the lovely hardworking bees ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ
Nov 2019
4:20pm, 20 Nov 2019
4,157 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
When I was at university I spent every holiday working for a company called Exeter Bee Supplies. One of my best summers was spent writing the instructions and drawing the diagrams that accompanied flat packed hives
Nov 2019
4:23pm, 20 Nov 2019
7,906 posts
  •  
GordonG
Hi. OK, two questions from a wannabee beekeeper (wannabeeper??):

1 - doing things properly but not 'luxury', what's a ball park figure for how much i might need to spend to set up My First Bee Hive?
2 - i'm sure i've heard (though i can't remember the source) that there's an argument to say some(many?) bee keepers are keeping the 'wrong' kind of bee. Any substance in this?

ta :-)
Nov 2019
4:25pm, 20 Nov 2019
15,890 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Iโ€™ve always fancied keeping bees. Seems like a bit of a dark art though. I was reading Trinโ€™s blog with interest the other day.
Nov 2019
4:26pm, 20 Nov 2019
7,907 posts
  •  
GordonG
* goes off to read Trin's blog *
Nov 2019
4:32pm, 20 Nov 2019
1,101 posts
  •  
Trin
VJ, that sounds great, you could probably help GordonG ๐Ÿ˜‰

GordonG, I don't know what the hive prices are like in the UK, Winniefree might know, but here in Spain a hive with bees is approximately โ‚ฌ120 euros. You might find a beekeeper who wants to sell one or two live hives, that's how we bought ours.
I'm not sure what is meant by the 'wrong type of bee'. African bees are the most aggressive but I've not come across anyone keeping them. We have Iberian bees and are no trouble. Again, it might vary in the UK. There should be a local beekeeping association to you and they are usually very helpful.
Nov 2019
4:35pm, 20 Nov 2019
1,102 posts
  •  
Trin
Gordon, there are actually 4 ๐Ÿ blogs ๐Ÿ˜‰
Nov 2019
4:44pm, 20 Nov 2019
4,940 posts
  •  
minardi
Iโ€™m just following this thread because Trinโ€™s blogs were so fascinating ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ
Nov 2019
4:46pm, 20 Nov 2019
33,318 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There were half a dozen hives at the "farm" that we bought but I think owners took them with them (and the bees - what do you call them? Family, swarm? Whatevs!)

MrsS(rrr) thought about getting some and we also were going to plant a lot of lavender in the 10 acre field that we don't use (there's a bit south facing bank along one side of it) as we though lavender honey might be nice?! I'm going to watch this thread and see what may bee! :-) G
Nov 2019
4:49pm, 20 Nov 2019
1,103 posts
  •  
Trin
'Colony' HappyG ๐Ÿ˜‰
That sounds like a good plan, lots of space and lots of lavender would be great for bees

About This Thread

Maintained by
So there's me and Winniefree, are there any other fetchies either keeping bees or wanabee beeke...