Aria Fitbit scales

4 watchers
Oct 2015
4:33pm, 12 Oct 2015
5,397 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Hello everybody :)

Someone had recommended these Aria scales to me as they apparently work with something called a Fitbit and can measure/track weight, body fat %, lean mass (whatever THAT is) and BMI.

They are fairly pricey so I was wondering if anyone had them, knew if they were any good and recommended them/or not. I am trying, as ever, to lose weight and they thought it was better to track these things than just pounds as it gives a better indication of overall health/fitness but how can a machine tell accurately what some persons body fat is without some form of invasive surgery? ;) This is the website but truth be told I don't understand the technology they are talking about. fitbit.com

Also does anyone use the Fitbit for any other purpose and are they any good?

I do agree the money could be spent on better things than on scales, but as those better things are cakes and pork pies, it is a bit counter-productive to my efforts ;)

Thanks folks :)
Oct 2015
5:27pm, 12 Oct 2015
1,504 posts
  •  
Longwayround (LWR)
AKG got a Fitbit for her birthday. It's a Fitbit Surge and it measures steps, floors climbed, active minutes, heart rate, workouts and (this is true) the bumpiness of Tanzanian roads, which it adds to the steps.

I believe the scales measure the user's conductivity and try to find a way to match that to a body fat percentage. However, "It's not tremendously accurate - and for a while ranked us at 40 per cent body fat, when the truth is less than half this figure - but does the job for tracking changes over time."
< trustedreviews.com >

Also, "There are well-known problems with this technology - not unique to Fitbit - which will affect the percentage the scales give you. For example, being dehydrated will increase the figure, while exercising or eating a couple of hours before a measurement can decrease it. For this reason, you’ll need to make sure that each time you take a measurement, you do it at a similar time of day so you can at least maintain some degree of consistency. From day to day, we saw fat percentages change by as much as 5% because we didn’t stick to a specific time when taking our measurements." < coachmag.co.uk >
Oct 2015
6:52pm, 12 Oct 2015
5,398 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Thank you very much for the link and the info. I think my money might be better spent on cakes and pies after all 😄
Feb 2016
5:37pm, 2 Feb 2016
79,501 posts
  •  
GregP
TrainingPeaks endorse something similar-but-different I think? And Garmin have a finger in the pie somewhere?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello everybody :)

Someone had recommended these Aria scales to me as they apparently work with s...