Feb 2011
12:50am, 13 Feb 2011
478 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Paul,
Happy to join you for that too.

Challenges good; distances immaterial!

Never underestimate the motivation provided by a challenge.
Feb 2011
5:04pm, 13 Feb 2011
593 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I found the challenges really motivating - first to get me to actually swim up to 400m continuously and then to try and improve my times. I swim set distances based on what swims I have coming up. I have an aquathlon with a 500m swim and a tri with a 400m swim soon, so I'll probably focus on those two distances and go up to 600/750m.
Apr 2011
5:44pm, 3 Apr 2011
14,379 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I am measuring myself at 400m and 750m (novice and sprint tri respectively). I do 1km, 1 mile and 2km swims (2.1km being my longest) but the "quick"(for me!) bits can't be full distance for me, can only do the faster bit for a section of it. Why not have multiple distances? 400m,750m etc. :-)G
Apr 2011
10:41am, 22 Apr 2011
14,695 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Is anyone going to run another Swimmy Challenge? FishEveryone or whatever it was called. Just noticed that there *are* multiple distances - as per header. D'oh. Soz! Think I got 9:45 for 400m yesterday. And 51 min for 2k? Anyway, I'll just keep splashing away! :-)G
Apr 2011
10:50am, 22 Apr 2011
164 posts
  •  
Loon.
I would like to be able to do a fulll swim session of at least 1k front crawl only, can only do two back to back at the moment and throwing the odd front crawl length in in the middle of my mainly breast stroke sessions.

would this be a realistic target by the end of May do people think or woudl June/July be better?
Apr 2011
11:25am, 22 Apr 2011
17,650 posts
  •  
JenL
I think you should aim for July, given your current ratio, Loon. If you get there sooner, then that's a bonus, but if you push too hard (and bear in mind that the end of May is only 5-ish weeks), it might discourage you. A km is 40 lengths of a 25m pool, remember. Swimming those continuously as front crawl is a lot to ask of yourself if you're currently doing the occasional set of 2 out of 40 and, as you said on the other swim thread, not yet breathing effectively on your right side. Three months seems to me a much more sensible, less stressful target. Why rush?
Apr 2011
11:31am, 22 Apr 2011
169 posts
  •  
Loon.
sounds like a sensible plan to me, realistic targets are always good. I understand running and targets, swimming is a whole new ball game to me :)

so 40 lengths of continuous front crawl for end of July for me is my swimmy challenge
Apr 2011
6:14pm, 22 Apr 2011
14,710 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
For me, the trick was to get breathing right for front crawl. I could thrash along for 2 or 4 lengths but had to go to another stroke to get my breath back.

When I realised that if I went V. slowly and breathed regularly (out and in, if you see what I mean) then I could sustain it.

Oh, and don't bother kicking, was my other big revelation. I mean, sure, kick, but not vigorously, cos it does bleep all except get you out of breath!

SHW (Swimmy Health Warning!) - I'm not a teacher and I'm not even good. Tho I can do 2.4km front crawl, non stop (albeit slowly - 1 hour) now. Good luck! :-)G
Apr 2011
7:58pm, 22 Apr 2011
171 posts
  •  
Loon.
lol Happy :) yes I need to slow down my leggies but I am improving and getting a more sensible gentle kicking going on, and I a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, much slower than I was to start with, which is a good thing :) am impressed it takes me nearly two hours to do under 2k at the mo :)
Apr 2011
10:02pm, 22 Apr 2011
17,653 posts
  •  
JenL
Remember that for front crawl you kick from the hip and not the knee. That sounds obvious and perhaps easy but the easiest thing about it is to forget about it. A good drill is to do arms only for a few lengths, holding a pull buoy between your knees to stop you kicking. Then, once you have the arms and breathing coming naturally, you can do legs again.

About This Thread

Maintained by Luiz
A swimming challenge for amphibious fetchies.

Challenge #4 - post your best times for 100M, 400M, 1000M before 26th September, and beat them by 25th December! Any queries please ask PinchyII

The spreadsheet's here: spreadsheets.google.com