Advice wanted on Vivobarefoot shoes and head torches please

1 watcher
Mar 2016
10:11pm, 23 Mar 2016
9,164 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I'm having no end of trouble finding shoes that don't give me foot and ankle pain or calf pain after my old favourites (original New Balance 860) became impossible to find. I'm considering trying barefoot shoes - sort of out of desperation. I tend to overpronate but a friend who very obviously overpronates runs in Vivobarefoot shoes with no problems.
What are people's experiences of trying them?

Secondly I need a decent headtorch for night time trail running, not a street light in sight (but I do want to be able to see the cow pats. And the cows.)
The current one I have, LED Lenser, was not bright enough last year although it was fine at Endure24 with others around me. I may well be on my own on the Stour Valley Path after dark this year.
Any recommendations for something preferably under £40?
Mar 2016
10:58pm, 23 Mar 2016
2,480 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I bought a head torch off of Amazon for Endure 24 and it's brill. I just did a search for head torch Cree (Cree being a high brightness led) and came up with one for £16. I just did the same search and found this one, but there are loads to choose from. The linked one is like mine (battery pack at the back) and it's very comfortable

amazon.co.uk
Mar 2016
11:04pm, 23 Mar 2016
6,867 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I can't run happily with a head torch, makes me feel very queasy after a while, but the Decathlon Kalenji chest torch is brilliant - and relatively cheap :)

'fraid I have no comment on the shoes - but if you want a low drop, inov-8 roadx' and Merrell shoes are often on sportspursuit cheaply
Mar 2016
11:33pm, 23 Mar 2016
5,815 posts
  •  
The_Saint
The best headtorches i have tried are LED Lenser H7R2 uktoolcentre.co.uk
and

Nitecore HC30 torchdirect.co.uk
I already had the 18650 batteries which kept the cost down
Mar 2016
11:38pm, 23 Mar 2016
16,695 posts
  •  
Meglet
Decathlon Kalenji chest light for me. Better definition of paths, no annoying lighting up of your breath in the cold.

As for shoes I love my adidas kandias. I used to pronate a lot and never had problems with them. before that I had some salomon shoes that had a small amount of support.
Mar 2016
8:49am, 24 Mar 2016
1,366 posts
  •  
Spleen
Seeing your breath in the dark is cool. Alpkit Gamma for me https://www.alpkit.com/products/gamma, bright enough for most purposes, takes AAA batteries and a steal at £14. Lots of people in my running club use Alpkits as I've never known anyone use one and not recommend it.

You can get much worse headtorches for a lot more money. LED Lensers are woeful.
Mar 2016
9:09am, 24 Mar 2016
7,179 posts
  •  
Ness
Can't offer advice on shoes but the torch I use was recommended by Vrap and it's brilliant.

From Decathlon ....

decathlon.co.uk
Mar 2016
9:10am, 24 Mar 2016
7,180 posts
  •  
Ness
Oops sorry missed Meglet's post. ;)
Mar 2016
9:14am, 24 Mar 2016
8,169 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Another endorsement for the chest torch from Decathlon - it's within your budget, very comfortable and provides good light where you need it :) Can't comment on the shoes - but for me switching to a slightly more minimal shoes for some runs (NB Vazee) isn't without its problems. Have you tried Brooks Vapor at all? I've found them really good for long runs and I've got more miles out of them then I usually manage.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
I'm having no end of trouble finding shoes that don't give me foot and ankle pain or calf pain aft...