Advice on gps watch

1 watcher
Mar 2016
10:18pm, 29 Mar 2016
First-time poster!!
  •  
Oakey
After years of getting by with a £20 Argos watch and manually uploading each training run and race onto Fetcheveryone, I have just discovered strava and like what I've seen so far - plots your route if you haven't pre planned it, split timings etc. Is there a relatively inexpensive GPS watch (less than £150) that I can use that links in with both strava and Fetch so I can simply download each run direct into both?
Mar 2016
10:35pm, 29 Mar 2016
143 posts
  •  
Heinzster
Hi Oakley.

I use a Polar m400, and I love it! It syncs straight to strava (via bluetooth connection to my phone) and I use an android app "Syncmytracks"to send data to Garmin connect and then to Fetch (and other apps that friends use like mapmyrun).

My wife has a TomTom runner - think it was on sale for around £50 in sweatshop a couple of months back. She is delighted with it, upgraded from Garmin 15. It syncs in a similar way, not 100% sure what is direct from TomTom and what syncs with the app.

The best bet is probably to go to dcraimaker.com and have a look at his product comparisons. He has a hugely comprehensive list of all the latest running (swim/bike) tech around and gives exhaustive reviews. Have fun looking around!
Mar 2016
10:36pm, 29 Mar 2016
144 posts
  •  
Heinzster
Oakley - sorry, dcrainmaker.com - left out an "n"!
Mar 2016
11:30pm, 29 Mar 2016
2 posts
  •  
Oakey
Hi Heinzster - many thanks for the advice. I'll look at the polar for sure. And check out dcrainmaker.com. Always good to go with a product that someone else already likes! Any downsides you can think of?
Mar 2016
11:18am, 30 Mar 2016
314 posts
  •  
Uyuni
Another vote for the Polar M400.

I’ve had mine 18 months and also love it – it did have to go back as there was a design flaw with the cover to the usb connection that trapped water and caused it to go rusty. I assume they have sorted that out now.

It syncs to strava fine but I have to download manually to fetch – although Heinzter has posted a solution above so I will try that :-)
Mar 2016
11:30am, 30 Mar 2016
16,370 posts
  •  
flanker
The Polar is generally considered to be the best entry level GPS watch that will do what most people want.

(this is from a long-term Garmin user who generally hates all things Polar after bad previous experiences)
Mar 2016
11:01pm, 30 Mar 2016
3 posts
  •  
Oakey
I have done some research since Heinzsters post, looks like the polar ticks all the boxes for what I want it to do, plus 2 others votes since. Birthday next week so just convinced the Mrs to get me one. Just have to find where to get it the cheapest now!!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
After years of getting by with a £20 Argos watch and manually uploading each training run and race ...