a plan please from bimbling to 5miles in 5.5 weeks

1 watcher
Jun 2013
1:11pm, 12 Jun 2013
8,919 posts
  •  
mulbs
Having spent most of this year bumbling along I want to follow a safe plan (as in not one that courts injury) to improve my running and make an enjoyable 5 miles at somewhere between 10mm and 11mm doable for the 'lympic anniversary run on 21st July.

You'll not get a lot from my training log as I'm a bit slapdash at completing it properly but I've been run/walking for what seems like forever now. This last week has seen me banish some of the walk although my distance is still piddling. I don't have a heart rate monitor but I sometimes use runkeeper on my phone to tell me distance/time stuff. Left to my own devices I know I'll just carry on shuffling my2/3/4 mile routes and not do anything different.

SO I am politely asking for a sensible kick up the arse
Jun 2013
1:18pm, 12 Jun 2013
555 posts
  •  
Craig_
Maybe have a look at the ready made importable fetch-plans - http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-list.php

Just choose something you like and tweak it to suit. :)
Jun 2013
3:03pm, 12 Jun 2013
14,451 posts
  •  
DeeGee
How about slowing down the run with the aim of banishing the walk, then once you're running adding on a little?

Back to basics.
Jun 2013
3:35pm, 12 Jun 2013
2,239 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I'd agree with DeeGee - how many times a week do you run? If you could get out 3 times then maybe you could keep one run as 2-3 miles, one where you try and add a little bit on each week to get to the 5 mile mark, and one where you see how the mood takes you?
A good way to run a bit further is to add distance to the start of a familiar route, then psychologically you've done the extra while you're fresh rather than adding to the end, which can be hard when you're tired.
Jun 2013
3:48pm, 12 Jun 2013
4,455 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
I would second AL's advice to extend the run at the start of a familiar route - it really does seem easier than adding it at the end. Do you do any running with your club or with buddies? Looking at your club profile it seems like they are mainly track sessions but if you can get together with some road running mates it does make it easier to extend the distance. You can have a quick breather every mile or so but try to keep all the moving forward done as at least a slow jog rather than walk.

Good luck!
Jun 2013
7:14pm, 12 Jun 2013
8,927 posts
  •  
mulbs
thanks all

I like the idea of extending the start rather than the finish, I'm not fast enough/do not have enough stamina at the moment to go out with a group from the club - their slowest tends to be 9-10 mm for 4/5 miles and I'm not there yet (but it's what I'm working towards). I run 3/4 times a week at the mo, mostly on my own but sometimes with my sister-in-law who is definitely a run/walker. I find it easier to do a slow jog when accompanying someone than on my own - I'm rubbish at pacing. For that reason I'm not sure I'd succeed in slowing down the run . . .

I think I need to resurrect the pesterer thread and have someone nag me!
Jun 2013
1:58pm, 13 Jun 2013
8,954 posts
  •  
mulbs
so I added a little to the start of my run (although not as much as I thought it was!0 and managed this today:

Thu Jun 13 1pm Run 2.58 miles 30:00 mins 11:38 mins per mile 5.16 can't remember what this number is!

I didn't walk any of it, I am rather red faced and was definitely huffing and puffing when I'd finished, I wasn't desperate to stop although I was quite glad to have to due to time constraints.
Jun 2013
1:59pm, 13 Jun 2013
3,322 posts
  •  
Pestomum
i keep reading the title as "birthing"...
Jun 2013
1:59pm, 13 Jun 2013
8,955 posts
  •  
mulbs
dear god no, I'd have to shoot myself! far too old for all that nonsense!
Jun 2013
2:09pm, 13 Jun 2013
2,269 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
That's a good start mulbs - on 3/4 times a week I would have thought you should get to 5.5 miles in the time. Maybe next run try a slightly longer one with a short walk break after 30 mins if you need it? I agree that slowing down is harder when by yourself as you when you have a buddy you can chat & so tend to run more slowly.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mulbs
Having spent most of this year bumbling along I want to follow a safe plan (as in not one that court...