A boring sock running thread - with added falling down stairs excitement

1 watcher
Oct 2017
10:26am, 9 Oct 2017
5,180 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Hello :-)

So I haven't run for a long time, and now I have started again I have realised all my gear is over five years old and knackered (no cushioning left in the socks so they were rubbing). I have used More Mile socks in the past with no issues so ordered some "San Diego" ones as they were on offer at Amazon.

We have a wooden floor in the hallway and last week I noticed my footing was a bit slippy in the socks, but stuck my trainers on and thought nothing more of it.

Yesterday I stuck them on upstairs, then went to walk downstairs and promptly lost my footing due to no grip and "bounced" halfway down the flight. Luckily I was carrying washing, and not the Baby, at the time. But either way the socks are going in the bin as I am not risking that again.

So this is a long-winded way of asking, are there any socks that don't cost the earth that provide decent-ish cushioning and don't make me feel like I am walking on ice if I have them on without my running shoes?

Thanks
Oct 2017
10:35am, 9 Oct 2017
15,443 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
In a few months you will discover pre-toddlers' socks that have rubber grips underneath. I doubt you'll find suitable socks for running with a similar feature.

Can you walk around in ordinary socks without slipping?
Oct 2017
10:43am, 9 Oct 2017
5,181 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Hah, yeah his sleep stuff has super grippy feet pads!

All other socks are fine (including my other two pairs of More Miles that I was looking for but can't seem to find anywhere online), just these San Diego ones seems to have absolutely no purchase on our floors at all.
Oct 2017
10:48am, 9 Oct 2017
19,514 posts
  •  
LindsD
We have wooden floors and I use merino wool Innov8 socks. The Nike Activefit ones are also OK and v cheap.
Oct 2017
10:53am, 9 Oct 2017
5,182 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Great, will look into both of those, thanks!
Oct 2017
11:00am, 9 Oct 2017
36,971 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Many other varieties are available ...

habercrafts.com
Oct 2017
11:03am, 9 Oct 2017
5,183 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Hadn't occurred to me that I could do that, blimey.
Oct 2017
1:11pm, 9 Oct 2017
31,764 posts
  •  
Nellers
I've not had problems on our wooden floors with either more Miles or the cheap Karrimor ones from Sports Direct.

Then again, our wooden floor doesn't exactly get polished to a high sheen very often.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Hello :-)

So I haven't run for a long time, and now I have started again I have realised all...