Compression Socks

4 watchers
Mar 2014
10:04am, 27 Mar 2014
15,634 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Anyway, I'm a sucker for the snake oil salesman and I wear compression socks while running. Not racing, for that I have compression calf-guards which match my kit, like a girl, but for day-to-day training.

I've been wearing X-Socks for as long as I have been running, and I'm a big fan, but I've just put my thumb through the back of my last unladdered pair and therefore feel it's probably time to replace. I tried More Mile, but the old style had a seam which blistered, and the new style don't stay up. I can't afford a wholesale X-Scoks replacement and actually the new v2 compression sock doesn't stay up anyway.

Does anyone use a compression sock that they can recommend that won't cost me the skin of my backside to buy in reasonable bulk, and more importantly is built for my slender lady-like calves?
Mar 2014
10:14am, 27 Mar 2014
1,565 posts
  •  
Nelly
I have one pair of compression socks that I bought from Aldi, hence I have nothing to compare them against but they're cheap and seem to do the job for me. Conveniently, Aldi are getting some more running kit in stock on 3rd April aldi.co.uk
Mar 2014
10:18am, 27 Mar 2014
15,635 posts
  •  
DeeGee
That was thought number 1. What tends to happen with Aldi kit round here, though, is that it's all sold by the time those of us with jobs can get there, yet appears new, unworn and with labels on ebay usually a couple of months later.

Thankfully Mrs DeeGee's said she'll got for me at 8am on Thursday.
Mar 2014
10:34am, 27 Mar 2014
15,636 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Should I miss the 15 minute window of Aldi opportunity, though...?
Feb 2015
5:18pm, 1 Feb 2015
1,691 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Would compression socks help, aggravate or make no difference to varicose veins?
May 2017
2:10pm, 9 May 2017
371 posts
  •  
AndrewS
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I was wondering the same thing as Cyclops.
I have had VV's for longer than I have had children (and they are both at university).
I will normally wear these if I am on a long haul flight (Dr's recommendation). I was wondering if I should be wearing these for running too?

I guess that there shouldn't be any harm in improving venous return and preventing any build up of metabolic waste products in my lower legs, but is there any scienctific evidence to support (pun intended) their use for running?
Jun 2019
3:53am, 25 Jun 2019
First-time poster!!
  •  
Ciceroero
What do you need for men's compression socks? Then I recommend Laite Hebe, I like compression socks with different patterns. Or you can look at other brand comparisons: gearhunder.com
Jun 2019
5:38am, 25 Jun 2019
42,062 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Compression socks have been compellingly marketed but have no evidence of benefit that could not be explained by a placebo effect.
um
Jun 2019
8:31am, 25 Jun 2019
1,066 posts
  •  
um
Oh no V'rap ... I've been wearing them for running for the last 2 years to help my achilles.
And for about 5 years on flights.

But I'm a sucker and firm believer in placebos and can't get enough of them, as long as they work.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Anyway, I'm a sucker for the snake oil salesman and I wear compression socks while running. Not rac...