Bike maintenance for dummies.

101 watchers
17 Apr
12:33pm, 17 Apr 2024
23,801 posts
  •  
larkim
Why are 11/12 harder? I know they are narrower, but isn't the fundamental of them being just a hole in a slot the same? I've had as many issues with 8 as I have with 10, but haven't had any 11 or 12 spd to play with.
17 Apr
9:30pm, 17 Apr 2024
19,281 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
Same fundamental but everything just seems tighter. I’ve had some 10 speed links I could do by hand but never an 11 speed. And I’ve put on a fair few chains over the years.
18 Apr
8:08am, 18 Apr 2024
10,255 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I'd agree with that, perhaps it's simply manufacturing tolerances? I've done loads of 11-speed chains and they do seem very tight. Never yet encountered a 12-speed to work on!
18 Apr
8:34am, 18 Apr 2024
23,814 posts
  •  
larkim
I guess maybe the wider chain at the lower gear numbers allows the plates on the quick links to flex a little more to help them slide out of the notch? I'd just presumed that the quick links were actually identical just with a slightly shorter pin. Anyway, I'm now pre-warned for when my son (who has an 11x or 12x) comes to ask for help!!
18 Apr
8:57am, 18 Apr 2024
2,546 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
All chains (except for some single speed/track chains) have the same internal width, and its just the width of the plates that varies between speeds. So the exposed length of pin will be the same.

I expect it is due to tighter tolerances on higher speed chains so that any more pronounced local flex due to the thinner plate doesn't lead to disengagement.
18 Apr
9:08am, 18 Apr 2024
23,816 posts
  •  
larkim
Sorry, misunderstanding - I meant the width of the pin from the frame-side to the outside; length might have been more appropriate!

Yes, the distance "roller to roller" in the chain is the same for all speeds (modern speeds, anyway), but the pin length is what gets shorter - 6.6mm for 9spd then getting smaller down to 5.2mm for 12spd I believe.
19 Apr
1:23pm, 19 Apr 2024
19,283 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
And trying to do more and more in the same space leads to mechanical issues. 3x9 is still the most robust system we’ve had for mountain biking.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
A thread for your questions about fixing common bike problems.

Need help naming a part? jimlangley.net