Elite Athletics Thread

1 lurker | 119 watchers

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.
19 Apr
3:10pm, 19 Apr 2018
4457 posts
larkim
Logic of a max distance? Nothing other than to equalise things. I know some pacemakers have gone through to the end and won or placed well, but I'd prefer pacers to be out of the equation before the battles to settle positions take place, male or female. Actually, on the whole I'd prefer no pacers at all if I'm honest, but they are there because otherwise there is a possibility that private arrangements between athletes cause unofficial pace making to take place, so at least with the paid for service we should know who is and who isn't in the race.
19 Apr
3:17pm, 19 Apr 2018
893 posts
SailorSteve
To my unsophisticated eyes, the men's elite field looks set to provide a cracking race, which may or may not yield a WR.
Mo may be able to race with the "big boys" or he may not. If he decides to simply TT to a national/regional record it will be something but not hugely interesting to me. If he races, whether he succeeds (sub 2.05.03 according to DB) or 'fails' that would be far more laudable and indicate real intent at the distance.

The women's elites seem to be set up to provide some kind of 'breaking2' experiment/entertainment event. Good luck to them but it's not my idea of a race.
SPR
19 Apr
3:20pm, 19 Apr 2018
26016 posts
SPR
The women's race is set up to attack Paula's record. Once that has happened and is out there and accepted as a record, it's hard for others not to use the same circumstances.
19 Apr
3:30pm, 19 Apr 2018
894 posts
SailorSteve
Quite right SPR.

And to my eyes watching a race is infinitely more exciting than watching the clock tick round in a record attempt. I concede that the latter does occasionally provide great theatre, but I'd rather watch a race.
19 Apr
3:39pm, 19 Apr 2018
4458 posts
larkim
Agree too SPR - other women must be given the chance to attack Paula's WR with the broad conditions that were in place for her too. If it was a GB athlete going for the WR I suspect there would be more mass interest, but ultimately you can watch a run like that via the tracker app. Hopefully both the remainder of the women's race is dynamic (including the GB runners with their own battle) and all of the men's race.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

A thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

Current UK rankings - Link (roll over me to see where I go)

GOOD SITES FOR NEWS
BBC Athletics - Link (roll over me to see where I go)
Athletics Weekly - Link (roll over me to see where I go)
Letsrun - Link (roll over me to see where I go)
IAAF Site - Link (roll over me to see where I go)
Diamond League Site - Link (roll over me to see where I go)

IAAF Calendar - Link (roll over me to see where I go)
BBC Athletics Coverage - Link (roll over me to see where I go)15971129