Hi ,
It looks like you're using an ad blocker, which is understandable if you don't like ads. Who does really?
However, our site is free for you to use because of a mixture of adverts and voluntary donations from users.
Please consider enabling ads for our website, or making a voluntary donation.
Thanks,
Ian Williams - Fetcheveryone

Elite Athletics Thread

0 lurkers | 118 watchers

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.
17 Sep
12:28pm, 17 Sep 2018
5588 posts
larkim
My PB from a couple of weeks ago over 200m is 35s. I couldn't even sprint him to the line from 42 to 42.2km and be guaranteed of winning!!
SPR
17 Sep
1:04pm, 17 Sep 2018
27075 posts
SPR
Great record by Mayer. First time since 2012 that two Olympic event records have been broken on the same day apparently.

Re Kipchoge, while stats like the 69 sec per 400m are great for explaining the speed they are running to a layman, I don't think the comparison to 'mortals' makes the record astonishing as the previous world record was astonishing compared to 'mortals'. It's the comparison to other elite that makes it astonishing, he is in a class of his own, the same was true of Bolt and Radcliffe.
17 Sep
1:56pm, 17 Sep 2018
5590 posts
larkim
Indeed I agree the mere mortals bit is a bit trite to a degree. But bear in mind I can run a 10k faster than 97% of the population and a parkrun faster than about 99.5% of all parkrunners in a given year it does show how truly exceptional all elite marathon runners are - so to be the best of the best is even more impressive.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

A thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

Current UK rankings - thepowerof10.info

GOOD SITES FOR NEWS
BBC Athletics - bbc.co.uk
Athletics Weekly - athletics-weekly.com
Letsrun - letsrun.com
IAAF Site - iaaf.org
Diamond League Site - diamondleague.com

IAAF Calendar - iaaf.org
BBC Athletics Coverage - bbc.co.uk