Elite Athletics Thread

162 watchers
Mar 2010
9:56pm, 24 Mar 2010
9,694 posts
  •  
SPR™
Thought we could do with a thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

Promising youngster quits athletics to play football due to frustration with the system: athletics-weekly.com

Mara Yamauchi wins New York Half Marathon, Haile Gebrselassie pulls out at 8 miles in the Men's race: news.bbc.co.uk

Zersenay Tadese breaks 20km and HM record in Lisbon: athletics-weekly.com
Mar 2010
10:04pm, 24 Mar 2010
7,100 posts
  •  
ogee
That is shocking news about Simon Lawson!! It's a crying shame as he's obviously a massively talented young man. Lets hope that the Olympics stirs some national pride into the Athletics Associations and they start to fund our young athletes a lot better than they do now.

Good thread SPR:)
Mar 2010
11:01pm, 26 Mar 2010
9,711 posts
  •  
SPR™
No world XC on the BBC :-( athletics-weekly.com
Mar 2010
11:07pm, 26 Mar 2010
3,512 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I've been in the same race as Simon Lawson a number of times, I say "in the same race" in the sense that I've seen him at the start, seldom seen Fetchie FarmBoy used to train with him, there was an informative article on RunnersLife featuring Simon and his distinctive approach runnerslife.co.uk
Mar 2010
11:13pm, 26 Mar 2010
1,661 posts
  •  
360°
Ex (or current?) Fetchie Andrew Lemoncello is running VLM this year. Bit of a step up from the steeplechase. Good luck to him.
Mar 2010
11:33pm, 26 Mar 2010
9,712 posts
  •  
SPR™
Good article Saint.
Mar 2010
7:34am, 27 Mar 2010
828 posts
  •  
P.E...
Good Thread SPR.
I read that about Simon Lawson didn't he break one ankle and the broke the next one a few weeks when back from injury? Whilst I dont think his times world beating they are potentially A standard for this country. The difference between us and the US for example is that he would have been ruined by the college system or picked up by the Nike or Brooks/Hanson project and been given some support. But then why run 100/120/150 miles per week when if you have an ounce of athletic ability you could earn a good living in another sport such as football, rugby etc?

Blog here of Lemoncello's prep for VLM adlemoncello.blogspot.com
Mar 2010
11:01am, 27 Mar 2010
9,714 posts
  •  
SPR™
Indeed P.E. - i checked power of 10 rankings for 2009 and he was 20th fastest over HM in this country. He obviously has some talent and is prepared to work hard. You'd think that is what they would use to make a funding decision not a brilliant application form. Reminds me of O'Neil not getting the England job due to a poor interview, you'd think the main focus would be his results vs other candidates.
Mar 2010
11:02am, 27 Mar 2010
9,715 posts
  •  
SPR™
thanks for the blog link, will check it later.
Mar 2010
9:56am, 28 Mar 2010
6,008 posts
  •  
Boab
Is the Worlds XC champs being shown anywhere? Can't see it on universal sports either?

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
A thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

If there's anything that would be useful to add to the links or here, let me know.

If you enjoy watching athletics why not have a go yourself? If you have any questions about how to go about doing that, ask on the Track & Field Fetchies thread. Someone is bound to be able to help:

fetcheveryone.com/forum/track-field-fetchies-6378/

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.