Whats wrong with multi-marathonning?

1 lurker | 16 watchers
Feb 2013
9:38am, 28 Feb 2013
1,581 posts
  •  
Curly45
Agreed Happy - but there is changing training without adding lots of miles...hence periodistion.

I do think some more mileage will be necessary also but not 30 miles a week. Not yet anyway. I will probably also need to get up there to improve on my next marathon campaign, but we are similar in that we both are responders to mileage in general. Not everyone is, it takes a few years of the focused approach to find out what pushes ones adaptation buttons.
Feb 2013
9:42am, 28 Feb 2013
19,346 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Having just stalked your profile Curly, looks like you've got good half and 10K times, so you've proven you have the pace, but your marathon time isn't at the same level. Usually that means that speed is fine, but endurance is required. This usually translates into more miles and long, slow running, to build that endurance and resilience. Just my tuppence worth though. Good luck. :-)G
Feb 2013
9:46am, 28 Feb 2013
1,584 posts
  •  
Curly45
Me? My marathon time was a jogged long run in August, last mile was the fastest - I've not raced one before! Should be interesting to see if I can convert as tightly as I usually do, but I'll get a massive pb either way ;)
Feb 2013
9:53am, 28 Feb 2013
50,485 posts
  •  
Gobi
You sound like Rach as she jogged one as well.
Feb 2013
10:00am, 28 Feb 2013
1,585 posts
  •  
Curly45
Well it was local, and I had had a lot of time off and wanted to see if I could finish it. I did and it served the intended purpose which was to get some good motivation to train hard for a raced one. I would love to finish Brighton as strongly as I did in the summer, but that is unlikely ;)

Not against using marathons for training see :)
Feb 2013
10:16am, 28 Feb 2013
50,486 posts
  •  
Gobi
Rach ran one to keep warm while i was racing
Feb 2013
10:23am, 28 Feb 2013
518 posts
  •  
Canute
Many different training patterns have produced excellent marathon performances so it is probably best for each individual to identify their own strengths and weaknesses. Part of this is involves looking at relative pace for distances from 1 mile to marathon; another part is looking at change (or lack of change) over the past few years at a particular distance ,taking account of number of races etc.

Quick perusal of DG’s performances show two striking things: first, his 5K performance is relatively better than all other distances; secondly, 5K performance improved dramatically over the past year. His current 5K PB certainly suggests capacity for a marathon in the vicinity of 3 hours. The simplest conclusion to draw is that there are gains to be made by increasing training volume to enhance endurance (eg by improving capacity to metabolise fat). However, 10K performance also lags behind 5K, despite slightly more 10K races than 5 K races, suggesting that he could benefit for increased capacity to cope with acidity (eg more long intervals or faster tempo runs). But the first question I would want to ask is what led to the increased 5K performance last year. Is there room for further improvement of 5K? I think that if you want to run a fast marathon, maximising 5K performance is one of the intermediate goals.

But it is over simplistic to look only at race times. One also needs to look at how well an athlete copes with a particular type of training session, and also look at how he/she approached previous races eg was fuelling and hydration strategy good in the long races. So I would not rush into any simple conclusion, though at some stage, increased ability to metabolise fat should on the training agenda.
Feb 2013
10:44am, 28 Feb 2013
13,757 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Yes, as Hellen points out, I'm on 3:26. I have failed to convert.

What has happened so far is I was running one every six months, or four a year (one and a spare per cycle). I went sub 3:30 for the first time after a summer of multisport in 2010. This was actually commensurate with my other race paces.

2011 was also a season of 1 and a spare per season. I swapped the bike for running and the swim for running in the hope that an increased focus on running would lead to improved times, which they did, in all distances but the marathon, which was an unmitigated disaster - I ran every race in 3:57.

Something needed changing, I figured endurance was lacking, so I moved to one a month with still only two raced last year. Went sub-3:30 in Hull, then ran a tactically inept race in Mablethorpe chasing 3:10. Tried to bank time! Crashed through the wall spectacularly and strugged in for 3:26 - which was still a nice PB. However, my fun-running pace has now gone from 4 hours to 3:35-3:45, and my shorter times have come down by a nice amount.

I've therefore taken the same policy to its logical conclusion this year in the hope of finally converting to a decent marathon time. I was capable of far quicker than 3:26 when I got my PB, just ran the wrong race!
Feb 2013
10:46am, 28 Feb 2013
19,347 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've never understood the approach that says get faster first, go longer second, for marathon training and performance. I'm aware that some people do it, and very successfully, but it just seems counter intuitive to me. The challenge is the distance, not the pace. So why bother getting a super fast 5K, working hard to shave seconds off it, when you don't go anywhere near that pace in a marathon? Who cares if the 5K time is woeful, if you can do 1 min slower than 5K (or whatever your particular time equates to), for 26.2 miles?

Even if there is a good, scientific reason why improving 5K time *might* help with marathon time, don't most (80%, 90%?) of marathon runners go out at a good pace, then drop off in last 3, 6 or more miles? So the problem is endurance. And to train your endurance, you don't need to go any faster at 5K. So even psychologically, shouldn't any trainer advocate concentrating on going long and slow to improve endurance, because that's
a. where most people fail and
b. the bit that requires time, effort, focus

If you say improve your 5K, then lots of intervals, speed work, not big mileage weeks, not long runs, then how will you get a better marathon runner?

I'm not disagreeing, by the way. I just don't understand. My ignorance probably. :-)G
Feb 2013
10:46am, 28 Feb 2013
19,348 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Curly, sorry, didn't realise you hadn't raced a marathon yet. I'm sure you will convert very well. :-)G

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
There are a few multi-marathonners around, with some good times, and also some conventional marathon...