What bikes should I be looking at?

5 watchers
Jun 2012
9:28pm, 28 Jun 2012
8,320 posts
  •  
runner duck
another vote for boardman here. oh has one and it's pretty darn good. he got the £750 one. but i would recommend buying it in the box and paying a local bike person to put it together for you unless you are good at that sort of thing yourself or if you know that there is someone at your local halfords that is good and can ensure s/he will be the one assembling yours.
Jun 2012
9:29pm, 28 Jun 2012
13,282 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Ribble. Or wait until September and reap the bargains as new paint jobs render this years bikes obsolote.
Jun 2012
10:50pm, 28 Jun 2012
17,019 posts
  •  
hammerite
This gets good reviews, decent value, sensible spec jejamescycles.co.uk can buy from JE James who have shops in Chesterfield, Sheffield and I think Rotherham. £995 and you can get some free pedals.

One thing to do is buy some bike mags and have a look at what price fits and what you think looks pretty.
Jun 2012
10:51pm, 28 Jun 2012
12,193 posts
  •  
DeeGee
A big one ;-)
Jun 2012
11:46am, 29 Jun 2012
17,026 posts
  •  
hammerite
chainreactioncycles.com
Jun 2012
11:50am, 29 Jun 2012
2,802 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Carbon better than Aluminium?

Yes, DG, I know I have stupidly long legs, so I'm going to need a big bike!
Jun 2012
12:02pm, 29 Jun 2012
17,027 posts
  •  
hammerite
Not necessarily better, but different. Carbon fibre tends to be lighter and more expensive. Most other bikes with a similar spec to the Vitus would cost more for an aluminium bike, let alone a carbon fibre one.

That said you have a risk of buying mail order with Chain Reaction and not being able to check the bike for size to start.

The Mekk bike I posted last night is also sold in Edinburgh Bike co-op, they have a store in Leeds.
Jun 2012
12:12pm, 29 Jun 2012
2,804 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Have to say I like the look of the Mekk - might go and have a look in EBC if I get chance this weekend. Can book my hybrid (commuting bike) in for a much-needed service at the same time!
Jul 2012
10:13pm, 1 Jul 2012
60 posts
  •  
Dave D
Was planning on buying my first road bike next month but I was doing the virgin cyclone on a hybrid yesterday and kept passing people with road bikes fixing punctures.
Was this just a numbers game(more people on road bikes), bad luck or are road bikes more likely to puncture ?
Also I've never worn spd / clips. Do these need setting for me personally by the shop or is it easy to do ? I confess to being worried about falling off while wearing them too !
Jul 2012
10:31pm, 1 Jul 2012
17,049 posts
  •  
hammerite
Puncturing is down to the debris/tyre not the bike. Probably just a case of more road bikes = more road bikes puncturing. You can get varying degrees of puncture protection in a tyre.

I use a set of tyres for my winter bike that haven't punctured in about 5,000 miles, but everything feels really sluggish using them. Where as I've punctured in races 3 times this season using light, grippy, fast tyres.

Everyone falls off with SPD/clipless pedals at some point, don't worry about that. I set up my own SPDs, but I've had look cleats set up for me during a bike fit.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
My technical knowledge of road bikes is pretty non-existent, so I'd appreciate being pointed in the...