What bikes should I be looking at?

5 watchers
Jun 2012
4:13pm, 28 Jun 2012
2,798 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
My technical knowledge of road bikes is pretty non-existent, so I'd appreciate being pointed in the right directions/places

I have a budget of up to about £1k (although this could be stretched slightly I guess). I would like a road bike which can be used for a bit of road biking around the Yorkshire Dales, the odd sportive (possibly) and maybe a race or two (probably a tri).

What makes/models should I be looking at? What sort of extras do I *really* need? etc.. Not bothered about spending hundreds of pounds on an ultra-light pair of pedals for example - I'd rather have something slightly more functional and cheaper! Bearing in mind a lot of my cycling is likely to be around Leeds dodging potholes...
Jun 2012
4:41pm, 28 Jun 2012
17,016 posts
  •  
hammerite
Does the £1k include extras like pedals, bottle cage, lights, lock(s), helmet? or do you have additional budget for that?

Assuming you want a bike for £1k you could have a look at Ribble, Planet X or Chain Reaction. All sell very well specced, good value bikes, all these are mail order. However Ribble and Planet X both have showrooms (Preston and Rotherham respectively) where you can be fitted up.

You could look at some of the more standard well known brands which will all be sold at bike shops local to you (LBS). Giant, Specialized, Trek, Wilier, Basso, Cannondale, Cube, Focus, Felt etc...... loads to mention! Generally you'll be paying more for the same spec, but the frame will probably be slightly better quality. With these brands you are paying for R&D, marketing and the supply chain.

Now is the time to be looking at a bike with maybe a view to buying in the next couple of months. With the exception of Planet X and Ribble most bike shops have their sales August/September/October as this is when the next years models are released, so you might get the bike you like for a reduced rate.

Best thing to do is trawl the shops, trawl the internet, get an idea for what fits, and what you like. Post up your shortlist on here, and let us give advice on what we think is the best bike/best value.
Jun 2012
4:46pm, 28 Jun 2012
1,450 posts
  •  
P.E...
Boardman always seem to get good write ups: halfords.com

My Trek's never let me down either, and Wiggle usually have the odd deal.

Second hand?!?! Big risk I suppose of buying the wrong bike, for example I ride a 54 frame on my bike and i'm 5' 10'' and the frame seems to suit me (I could be wrong and others please feel free to correct me) but companys frames geometry's differ from make to make. I should in theroy be riding a 56-58 frame if you look at the conversion charts for example.

Sorry i've not been much help here...
Jun 2012
4:59pm, 28 Jun 2012
37 posts
  •  
longwayround
I would second Hammerite's comments. I have a low-end Ribble and it's done me proud. In terms of extras, you don't want to spend a fortune on lightweight wheels if you're going to be pothole dodging. A good groupset is worth spending the cash on.
Jun 2012
5:05pm, 28 Jun 2012
3,282 posts
  •  
sprouty76
My Trek 1.1c has done me proud for £550 (got it on a cycle to work scheme, so I paid less than that), although in hindsight I wish I'd gone for the 1.2 with carbon forks (especially on broken-up urban roads). Came with bog standard pedals but got a cheap set of SPD-SLs for about £25 and a pair of basic road bike shoes for about £45. Already had a helmet, lights etc and some decent locks.
Jun 2012
5:10pm, 28 Jun 2012
3,899 posts
  •  
Debstir
I heart my Trek 1.2. I also heart my Trek 7.3 hybrid. I also now want a cyclocross so I can heart it too....
Jun 2012
5:28pm, 28 Jun 2012
10,270 posts
  •  
Meglet
Fozzy, we use JDCycles in Ilkey (they're friends too). They're pretty good at making sure you get the right sort of bike without overselling, and will usually let you test them too.

jdcycles.co.uk (tell them Meg and Jack sent you!)
Jun 2012
9:05pm, 28 Jun 2012
1,008 posts
  •  
hairlikeeddy
Ribble have a good deal on the Stealth for frame and forks for £440. Looks like a very nice frame. A mate has just ordered one - I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Jun 2012
9:10pm, 28 Jun 2012
1,010 posts
  •  
hairlikeeddy
Ribble also have a bike builder so you can choose your bits. I think the offer on the Stealth ends tomorrow.
Jun 2012
9:23pm, 28 Jun 2012
3,566 posts
  •  
WA (Windassisted)
OH has a Boardman. He's used it for JOGLE, lots of Yorkshire Dales, Lakes and Ribble valley cycling, quite a few sportives, the Etape and this year the Maratona. He's done a LOT of miles and thd bike has been completely reliable.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
My technical knowledge of road bikes is pretty non-existent, so I'd appreciate being pointed in the...