Halfords and bike advice

1 watcher
Jun 2012
7:47pm, 26 Jun 2012
180 posts
  •  
Action Jen
GRRRRRR, It;s my husband's 40th next week and he wants a mountain bike, which I am really pleased with as I am hoping this might mean that we can start exervising together and him start exercising.

Anyway, been to HAlfords to look at the VooDoo bikes (I have to admit they look awesome, and seem (to me with no experience) to be ok), the first one the guy couldn't even figure out how to unlock the bloody bikes, or, in fact, speak in more than a monosyllabic grunt. We left and complained to the manager on our way out.

The second Halfords took a while to figure out how to unlock the bike, but did manage it in less than 10mins.

However, the tyres needed pumping up, the brakes were rubbing and the shocks were spongy - it is a £400 bike and we asked if they could be fixed so we could trial it properly, he said no. I asked not even if we were to come back on a different day? He said no. Seriously - you want me to hand over £400 and you cannot be arsed to get the bike in a reasonable state to test it, or provide me with another to test.

I know it is just halfords - but they have a bike devision and this bike is not merely a crappy £100 one, but £400. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

so, does anyone have any opinions on this one - he does quite like it evanscycles.com

I don't want to spend more than this - because he is not an experienced biker and I think any more would be a waste, but I want to get a good bike that is going to encourage him to keep cycling.

I realise you all are mainly road cyclists, but I am sure you must have something to say!!
Jun 2012
8:02pm, 26 Jun 2012
13,274 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Halfords can be a very mixed bag, occasionally you can get a really good service from a competent assistant, often you get exactly what you got.
Don't know much about pinnacle bikes, but it looks fine.
When I bought the GF one a few years ago this one evanscycles.com was getting all the plaudits.
Jun 2012
9:31pm, 26 Jun 2012
183 posts
  •  
Action Jen
Thanks, I think I will stick to Evans then!!
Jun 2012
9:38pm, 26 Jun 2012
31 posts
  •  
longwayround
Pinnacle are generally considered to be a decent brand. Halfords are, as JohnnyO has stated, a mixed bag: their Boardman bikes are great but may have been set up by an utter buffoon.

As a general rule, very few good bikes can be had for less than £400. Good bikes with worthwhile suspension cost more. I've never known anyone have a bad experience buying from Evans though. Do you have a local bike shop?
Jun 2012
9:41pm, 26 Jun 2012
12,166 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Agree with the Hardrock disc. Only complaint is that it is a little heavy. Otherwise it's great for me. I don't do lots of technical off-road, but it's great for bridleways in the Wolds.
Jun 2012
9:44pm, 26 Jun 2012
12,167 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Evans are very good. They'll order a bike in, set it up and let you have a proper test ride before selling it to you.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
GRRRRRR, It;s my husband's 40th next week and he wants a mountain bike, which I am really pleased w...