Training plans for running more than 1 race

4 watchers
Aug 2022
4:30pm, 31 Aug 2022
First-time poster!!
  •  
nessyt
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction for training plans that cover doing more than one race. I completed a half marathon on Sunday & I have another one booked for November, im thinking of doing one in between.
Aug 2022
4:32pm, 31 Aug 2022
28,084 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome to FE :-)

What's your race in between Nessy?
Aug 2022
4:34pm, 31 Aug 2022
2 posts
  •  
nessyt
Another 1/2 marathon
Aug 2022
4:40pm, 31 Aug 2022
28,085 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Sounds like you're enjoying them :-)

If your long runs are strong enough to get you through the race (and it sounds like they are), I'd be tempted to just keep doing what you've been doing in the last few weeks of your training. Ease off a bit for a week or so, just to give your legs a chance to recover from your race; and then go for it.

If that was your first HM on Sunday, and if the course and conditions are similar next time round, I reckon the simple experience of having done it all will set you up with a good chance to improve your time (if that's your thing).

I expect there'll be some more opinions from other Fetchies on this thread soon :-)

Good luck!
Aug 2022
4:59pm, 31 Aug 2022
3 posts
  •  
nessyt
Thanks for your advice, yes Iā€™m enjoying getting back into running after a long break, I really wanted to make the most of my fitness before the winter (I live in NE Scotland so days in the winter are really short & weather can be a hinderance).
Aug 2022
6:06pm, 31 Aug 2022
1,838 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I would be inclined to do a reverse taper (or easier week or two) from the half, then apply the same training schedule as I used before with the end date set to the next race and then take it up wherever it happens to be. Hal Higdon has some advice for multiple marathons soecifically. halhigdon.com
Sep 2022
10:00am, 2 Sep 2022
2,906 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
In simple terms - what Steve said :)

Pfitzinger & Douglas also offer some good but marathon specific advice in their book - amazon.co.uk - in essence, divide the period between events into three phases which I'll label as Recover, Rebuild and Taper. Only thing I'd add would be that it may, depending on how you feel, be worth treating the middle race as a 'long run with company' rather than racing it.
Sep 2022
11:46am, 2 Sep 2022
43,600 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
In terms of formal plans for this, not sure I've seen any, but... Pfitzinger and Douglas's "Advance Marathoning" has a section at the end about "multi-marathons". You could maybe use that section and adapt it for half marathon?

However, hopefully confidence-inspiring, is that it basically says what the sensible Fetch, Steve and Andy said above!

Recover a bit from one race, start retraining at about middle of plan for however many weeks you have in between, then remember still to taper for the next one!

Enjoy (and welcome to Fetch forums!) :-) G
Sep 2022
3:07pm, 2 Sep 2022
4 posts
  •  
nessyt
Thanks guys, sounds like a plan šŸ˜€ & thanks for the warm welcome šŸ¤—

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by nessyt
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction for training plans that cover doing more than one race. I completed a half marathon on Sunday & I have another one booked for November, im thinking of doing one in between.