Tour de France 2013

48 watchers
Sep 2013
4:47pm, 29 Sep 2013
19,080 posts
  •  
hammerite
Your first post pretty much agrees with mine. Costa would have sat up if Valverde had gone with him, unless Valverde was willing to put in a turn (to help chase down his countryman J-Rod), also don't forget that Valverde and Costa are team mates.

Yes Nibali was cooked so wasn't going to chase any more or win a sprint.
SPR
Sep 2013
5:03pm, 29 Sep 2013
18,780 posts
  •  
SPR
I think that's exactly what Valverde should have done; sit on Costa and therefore force Costa to sit up, giving Rodriguez the win. But you're right re the trade teammate angle, must have played more of a part than I appreciated.
Sep 2013
6:10pm, 29 Sep 2013
11,615 posts
  •  
runner duck
i was relieved nibali didn't win. if he had it might have caused a rumpus with the whole being towed along while the mechanic 'looked' at his bike.

i would have preferred joachim to win. exciting finish, tho :)
SPR
Sep 2013
6:26pm, 29 Sep 2013
18,784 posts
  •  
SPR
Good point RD

I really wanted Purito to win. Rui Costa did his job though well though.
SPR
Sep 2013
6:45pm, 29 Sep 2013
18,786 posts
  •  
SPR
The finish is up: bbc.co.uk

Did Purito think the first line was the finish line, or did he stop because he knew he was beaten? Unless it was missed in the trees, Valverde defo didn't go after Rui Costa at all.
Sep 2013
6:51pm, 29 Sep 2013
11,620 posts
  •  
runner duck
it did look like he thought that it was the finish and seemed puzzled no-one was chasing him. did he pull out after that?

they could have done with chopping down those trees for the coverage ;)
Sep 2013
6:54pm, 29 Sep 2013
11,621 posts
  •  
runner duck
submitted too soon!

i thought valverde was guarding nibali. not sure why, you would have thought he would have tried to go for silver himself.

it was a bit strange the way valverde and costa seemed to have a bit of a chat before going for the cat and mouse sprint finish. would love to know what was said!
SPR
Sep 2013
6:55pm, 29 Sep 2013
18,789 posts
  •  
SPR
Purito = Rodriguez. Was talking about the final sprint, he seems to stop at the initial line, which is an advertiser banner I believe. He seemed to be a little ahead at the point, but it might be camera angle.
SPR
Sep 2013
7:00pm, 29 Sep 2013
18,790 posts
  •  
SPR
The way I read it, Valverde should have marked Rui Costa and Nibali. Rodriguez was making it hard forcing the others to chase. If they failed, Purito wins, if not well when it comes to the sprint, Valverde would be the fresher, plus he is the best sprinter anyway so should be a guaranteed win for Spain. It failed when Rui Costa was allowed to go. Hammer has brought in the trade teammate angle which may explain why Valverde didn't chase Rui Costa, but sure seems like Rodriguez was surprised that Valverde wasn't there.
Sep 2013
7:00pm, 29 Sep 2013
11,622 posts
  •  
runner duck
i'm getting mixed up, sorry! i thought you were talking about the chap who seemed to be sprinting for the line on the penultimate lap! i didn't know the nick-name purito! just reading cycling news and they use it there. muppet

About This Thread

Maintained by Topcat2
The 100th Tour de France

June 29th to Sunday July 21th

21 stages