Tour de France 2013

48 watchers
Oct 2013
2:46pm, 4 Oct 2013
5,812 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Heard second hand from someone who read Wiggins bio, in other one day events if the team leader pulls out, then they all quit en masse as a team so effort not wasted etc...
Oct 2013
12:58pm, 5 Oct 2013
19,096 posts
  •  
hammerite
Froome was team leader, Thomas road captain. These were the last two riding too, so that doesn't figure for Wiggins and the rest of the team. Think it was just purely poor tactics from the team and a lack of will from certain riders.

If you're out the back in a Worlds race you may as well withdraw, most of them shouldn't have got themselves in a position where withdrawal was an option.
Oct 2013
8:18pm, 5 Oct 2013
1,153 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
When I first saw Wiggins he was at the back of the main bunch and had assumed he was just sitting in the wheels till his bit was needed. Most of the others were still up front. I was surprised when the numbers passing tumbled until just Thomas sitting in the second group passed us and we were left wondering what happened as Italy just seemed to be tapping out a relentless rhythm on the front everytime they passed us.

Tactically they may have made a screw up but it was the speed of the physical evaporation that surprised, and that they couldn't even hang in. Note here I saw it roadside but haven't seen full footage, so if some incidents occurred I've missed I will be happy to withdraw this statement.
Oct 2013
12:50pm, 6 Oct 2013
19,098 posts
  •  
hammerite
I think that's pretty much what we saw on TV MM. Yes Italy put the hammer down (is that a Harmonism or a Sherwinism), but enough riders hung in, including a few you'd say "who?" about.
Oct 2013
8:36pm, 6 Oct 2013
19,103 posts
  •  
hammerite
54 finishers in today's race. Not too dissimilar numbers to last week really, even though the conditions were better, the race shorter and there was no finishing circuit.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Topcat2
The 100th Tour de France

June 29th to Sunday July 21th

21 stages