The Leopard - Feb 2019 Book Group discussion thread

7 watchers
Feb 2019
10:11pm, 11 Feb 2019
38,373 posts
  •  
McGoohan
However.... as you've already Audibled it, it might be worth skimming to The Death of a Prince which is IMHO the best chapter in the whole book and is quite short compared to earlier chapters
Feb 2019
8:53am, 12 Feb 2019
34,297 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I took your advice and skipped forward to that chapter (after enjoying a barouche full of ball gowns on the way), but it made me think of my Dad so I listened to some music instead. I will go back to it.
Feb 2019
9:22am, 12 Feb 2019
38,383 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Sorry, didn't consider that aspect. It is though the bit that elevated my score from ground-level.
Feb 2019
9:28am, 12 Feb 2019
34,301 posts
  •  
Diogenes
No apology required, it was just the way my thoughts went, and as I was driving at the time (audiobook for those that are worried) I decided then was not the time.
Feb 2019
3:26pm, 12 Feb 2019
5,682 posts
  •  
postieboy
I do have a tendency of liking things that no one else does. Books, films, tv, I'm in a minority a lot of the time.
Feb 2019
3:40pm, 12 Feb 2019
17,428 posts
  •  
Columba
As usual on the discussion threads: I have not yet read any of the above.

While I did feel this is a Really Good Book, I'm not quite sure why I thought so, since I felt no sympathy for any of the characters, including the Prince himself. Oh, maybe Father Pirrone; but he's a relatively minor character. Indeed, it's not so much a book about people as about a historical process, and by extension about historical processes in general and their inevitability. In a way it was very depressing.

The bit at the end, with the three ageing sisters, seemed at first to be rather irrelevant and tagged-on; but right at the end, looking back over the whole thing, did not seem irrelevant but tied the ends. Interesting that Concetta at the end feels entirely emotionless and finally gets rid of the stuffed dog Bendico. Somewhere (maybe one of the author's letters, some of which are printed / quoted from) it says Bendico is the key to the whole thing.

The descriptive passages are wonderful, and there are plenty of them. Also the explanatory passages, e.g. telling us about the stubborness and extreme conservatism (small "c") of the Sicilian populace. There's also some humour implicit in it; e.g., Angelica's mother who, though exceptionally beautiful, is absolutely never seen in public because it has proved impossible to hitch her up into a higher social class.

I could have done with a page or two at the beginning with a summary of the historical background. All right, I knew Garibaldi unified Italy some time during the ninteenth century, but a little more detail would have been helpful.
Feb 2019
3:53pm, 12 Feb 2019
17,429 posts
  •  
Columba
OK, caught up with all earlier comments.

The first time I read this book was many many years ago and the only thing I'd retained was the "death of a Prince" section, specifically the way he feels his life is being poured away faster and faster.

I wish I could have heard Liebling's rendition of the Fr. Pirrone passage.
Feb 2019
4:23pm, 12 Feb 2019
38,391 posts
  •  
McGoohan
She was very good. Just the merest suggestion of an Italian accent, but all Italian words pronounced correctly. Her portrayal of Father Pirrone was a bit unsympathetic though and there was a fair bit of eye-rolling at him.
Feb 2019
8:16am, 14 Feb 2019
34,349 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I was glad to get out of The Leotard, although I felt guilty for skipping a little and not being more rapt by it. In terms of literary merit and cultural significance, I'd give it 8. Based on how much I enjoyed it, it's a 6, so overall I gave it a 7.

Obviously it is ridiculous to try and reduce a book down to a mark out of 10, but in this case it seems to some up my feelings about it. It was an exercise of betterment which I completed. I could recognise the value of the exercise without fully enjoying it or wanting to repeat it.

I think that's enough damnation with faint praise.
Feb 2019
11:23am, 14 Feb 2019
17,453 posts
  •  
Columba
Very much what I felt, Dio. Although in my case I'd have summed up my feelings rather than some-ed them up. ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Count Duckuloni di Borgia is an apparently urbane, aristocratic playboy by day, but by night he is infamous cat-burglar The Leotard! Desired by women, envied by men! His life might have continued in this way until he is contacted by Nikos Furiopolous, of the Greek resistance. Furiopolous recruits him in the fight against the fascist overlord Dr Calamari!

With kid sidekick, The Kitten, at his side, can The Leotard crack the case, save the world and be back at the baccarat tables before dawn?

Now read on...