swimming equivalent of a marathon ?

3 watchers
Jul 2011
12:14am, 15 Jul 2011
473 posts
  •  
liverpoool.feet
Hi there

I was wondering why there isn't anything like swimming marathons. Or maybe there are? I don't know really.
I mean, you can find a (running) marathon every week whereas there's nothing equivalent in swimming? Correct me if Im wrong?

Probably there are some shorter events as there are triathlons but what about some longer stuff for the slow people? Jump in and swim for 6 hours nice and steady:)

At the moment I do 3 km five times a week in around 1hr 40 ish min. Probably that's very slow, I know but still I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm a bit tired with running at the moment and would love some other challenge :) If there was something like a 10 k swim in (a pool!) with generous time limit I'd sign up straight away!

Any ideas?
Jul 2011
12:18am, 15 Jul 2011
25,010 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
10k is recongnised as the marathon of swimming in the olympics
Jul 2011
12:24am, 15 Jul 2011
474 posts
  •  
liverpoool.feet
but are there any events like this for 'normal' people? I mean general public?
Jul 2011
12:29am, 15 Jul 2011
766 posts
  •  
Werewulf
As a 'general public' person, no, I don't ever recall seeing anything like this advertised...

However a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes, so I wonder if there is anything......
K9
Jul 2011
5:54am, 15 Jul 2011
51 posts
  •  
K9
If you look up the BLDSA - British long distance swimming association you'll find lots of events, but they are generally open water. Some are longer than 10k!
There are also things like the great swim series - but only up to 2 miles, and epic events - 500m/ 1 mile/ 2.4 mile - also open water.
Various other standalone events - again OW
In the pool there is the annual swimathon - charity pool swim of various distances up to 5km, various pools around the country.
K9
Jul 2011
5:59am, 15 Jul 2011
52 posts
  •  
K9
I also swim about that sort of distance 5-6 times a week LF, but needed to find something to aim towards - as in training for a running race - to keep me motivated.
There are only so many laps you can do without any particular reason!

I discovered the great North Swim and did that 2 years ago, then found other events the following year.
Have you tried OW? It's fab!
Jul 2011
6:21am, 15 Jul 2011
30,727 posts
  •  
mxhornet
entrycentral.com
Jul 2011
11:46pm, 15 Jul 2011
475 posts
  •  
liverpoool.feet
Wow that website is great K9 :) Will have a proper look some time definitely.

No I haven't done any open water other than some leisurly swims in lakes/sea whilst on holidays ;)

It's probably so much different to swimming in the pool! Forget all the weed and jellyfish, but it's just too dark! You can't see where you're swimming when there's no black line to follow under you ;) And then even if I could swim for hours and hours in the pool in OW it would get freezing too soon and what?

But I'll never say never!

I'll definitelly look into the Swimathon thing too :) thanks :)
Jul 2011
12:10am, 16 Jul 2011
476 posts
  •  
liverpoool.feet
OMG there's something like a 21 mile lake swim! Wow
K9
Jul 2011
6:21am, 16 Jul 2011
53 posts
  •  
K9
And then there's the English Channel of course!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi there

I was wondering why there isn't anything like swimming marathons. Or maybe there are? ...