Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Support thread for parents of teenagers

2 lurkers | 134 watchers
26 Sep
9:37am, 26 Sep 2020
50929 posts
Dr PhFleecyD
Kaysdee: my ds2 is happier this year as they made a huge year 11 common room as well as allocating them the basketball courts as outdoor space. He says they have no need to go into the cybercafe (no idea why they call it that, there is nothing cyber about it!!) as they’ve opened an outdoor snack shack for students to use to release pressure on the cafe. Admittedly his school are lucky as although the numbers of students have increased hugely in recent years they had loads of empty rooms and fairly empty buildings as well as lots of outdoor space. Still, opening the outdoor cafe has probably been key in managing numbers at lunchtime, so maybe more secondary schools need to do it? 7 minutes to eat lunch is crazy
26 Sep
2:56pm, 26 Sep 2020
37160 posts
DocM
son#3 starts freshers week on monday and has just got his timetable for it. 100% on line
26 Sep
3:35pm, 26 Sep 2020
21278 posts
Meglet
I’ve had a parent letter from Loughborough with reassurance about Covid safety and a request to remind her about rules. I thought that’s a nice touch.

We’ve sorted the kitchen stuff from her sister and done the non perishable shopping.

The art foundation course is run 10-4 on 4 days a week. They’ve split them into two groups so they do morning online/self directed and afternoon in the workshops, or vice versa. So pretty structured, they have to log on for the self directed session.
26 Sep
8:45pm, 26 Sep 2020
7897 posts
CStar
Ironically pleased that DD2 hasn't gone to Uni this year given the grief that everyone seems to be having. Just really hope all your teens do get settled in ok.
26 Sep
8:47pm, 26 Sep 2020
8305 posts
KatieB
I am seriously freaked out by the student lockdowns. I really wonder if they should be there.
26 Sep
8:56pm, 26 Sep 2020
37164 posts
DocM
i have a selection of experience with son#3 probably having the best deal being at home with course on line. son#1 is away but not in halls. And son#2 got messed around so having a gap year, hopefully will eventually go when things are better. I do feel for those of you who have teens away for the first time amongst all this.
26 Sep
8:57pm, 26 Sep 2020
17674 posts
Bazoaxe
Katie, in short students should not be in halls and those in authority should have seen this coming. Its a dreadful situation for people to be in when they should be finding their feet in life and forging relationships
26 Sep
9:32pm, 26 Sep 2020
32554 posts
halfpint
QP is being a bit of an arsehole which is reassuringly normal. I text asking if he was aware he couldn’t come home at Oct break - his response ‘yes’ followed by a request for me to bring his bouldering pads down (A 4 hr round trip). He then refused to let me call to make arrangements because he ‘can’t be arsed organising it this weekend’.
26 Sep
9:38pm, 26 Sep 2020
48767 posts
Velociraptor
I'm pleased that the only one of my children who is still an undergraduate is 24, living with her partner in a private rented flat, and has a year of earning behind her. Tink would have gone back to Liverpool to do a postgraduate degree but is going to wait and see how things are next year.
26 Sep
10:08pm, 26 Sep 2020
68166 posts
swittle
halfpint - how big are they? Could you post them to him?

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Thread was started by Trin, back when her kids were in their teens.

A place to vent, but also to share good news.

Close